Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Aptitude Test - Capital Markets

Options
  • 24-05-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭

I received a phone call this evening asking if I could take an aptitude test in Dublin this Friday for AIB Capital Markets.

Does anyone know what type of questions it will involve? I've never had to do an aptitude test before!

What should I be looking over / studying?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I presume that it's the famous "grain" test that AIB are renowned for. I did it back about 4 years ago when I was doing the grad programme applications.

Its not like any traditional aptitude test, it's bizarre. From what I remember you have to intrepret information about grain values and volumes and establish trends on whether they are increasing or decreasing. I remember coming out of it thinking what was that, but apparently I passed.

Its not really like the SHL tests where if you do 4 or 5 you get quite good and quick at them so you can't really practice for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I passed this about six years ago but then got rejected at the assessment day.

I did the grain silo too, you'll be working out percentages and volumes.

OP, the main thing here is get the test finished, don't come back here and say there wasn't enough time. You don't even have to start at question 1, I used to always skip around the different sections, get it done and have time at the end to check it over.
    Never ever get bogged down on a section, if you run out of time it's your own fault. You can definitely get the test done with time to spare

You can practice SHL tests online but you won't find similar examples. However, buying an aptitude test book isn't a bad idea, it'll keep you sharp

Only the top couple of percent are going to be selected here, so best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Cool, thanks for the info!

Anybody have any more details on it? Anybody else do it before?

I don't have it until 3rd of June it turns out, so what would people recommend studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dunston

What recruitment agency are people applying for this through?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Can anyone tell me what tests are involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 liedeux

jenno86 wrote: »
    I received a phone call this evening asking if I could take an aptitude test in Dublin this Friday for AIB Capital Markets.

Does anyone know what type of questions it will involve? I've never had to do an aptitude test before!

What should I be looking over / studying?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I did the same aptitude test too, got called for interview a day later. Did u get an interview and have ye heard back from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

OP start by learning what "put" and "call" mean in context of options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 And428

hey guys, I got the interview 2 weeks ago today, apparently only ten of us got through the test and out of them only 3 have been rejected so far, Im still waiting to hear, did anyone get accepted yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 liedeux

same here, interview over 2weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet.... no news is good news perhaps??

• Advertisement

fingers crossed anyway. Everyone seemed nice enough up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Adam We

I've got this test on Friday. Any more advice???

Hmmm its kinda one of those tests ull be good at or not, its not general knowledge or anythin so alot of patterns, thinkings quickly, writing quickly, cross checking things, no need for a calculator, have a chocolate bar and coke before you go in and stay relaxed, its not designed for you to finish any sections so dont panic if you only get to question 20 of 60. other than that i dont really know what to say,

what position are you applying for can I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Adam We

capital markets, corporate banking, I believe. Saying that, the recruitment agent never gave me a job spec, and a 2nd recruitment agent i got on to who also had this job, her advert said feck all about the role.

lol, i got accepted onto it in Kerry, would love to be in the Dublin offices though so think I may ring up HR and ask. The test itself is 3 hours long and only 15 out of 60 people that sat it got called back for an interview, its fairly difficult but as I said its not like you can really prepare for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 crab_eyes

I will have a test on monday, but thats for retail banking, wud u say it will be any different to capital markets?

Advertisement