Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a pack of fags...

Options
  • 24-05-2011 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine came to visit me today and he mentioned casually that his neighbour had asked him to shoot his horse. I was gobsmacked since the reason was solely that he wanted to get rid of him. 3yro, heavy hairy cob at about 14.2hh, black with 4 white socks.

I jumped in the van, raced down to the man and hopped out of the van. I must have looked like an apparition as the guy was hiding in the shed ;o).

I asked him politely about the horse (I know the horse since he was a foal since I am passing the fields he is in nearly every day). He said he would sell him (ah hahahahaha) so I offered him a pack of fags.

Now I am the proud owner of a mad stallion who was never handled for the grand sum of 7.25 yoyos.

He will be gelded next week, chipped and passported and then the fun of training begins. Can't wait, I like a challenge.

I have called him *Liam* ;o).

People never ever cease to amaze me :(.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭texasgal

Oh EGAR .. I'm so jealous .. and proud of you!

Please, keep record and share... I would LOVE to hear of your trials and successes.

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭fits

Wow! It just seems so unnecessary...

btw Egar, I havent forgotten about the dog beds. Just havent been over your way in a few weeks. Still have em for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Such is the way with horses these days I'm afraid. They are being dumped and shot left right and centre and people will do anything to get rid of them...
    Sad story but true!

Best of luck EGAR, I hope he goes well for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Yes, I know Sup Dude. I have 14 here at present and have re-homed ten times as many in the last 15 years :(.

Fits, no worries whenever it suit you :).

I will update on Liam tomorrow, am hoping to get some good pics of him if the weather permits. At present he is like a deer :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Good luck with him, careful with the flies. Hopefull the wind from the last while will have blown him away!

I wouldn't be too hard on the old owner for wanting the colt gone, he could have good reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Thats a brilliant story. I love to here a deserving animal getting a good home. I cant undestand why these guys have horses and want to shoot them. Five minutes on done deal and it would be sold. Best of luck on the training, I dont envy you!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

People's attitudes continue to really baffle me!

Well done, EGAR, and best of luck! Looking forward to the updates on 'Liam'! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Fair play to ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mtagrookery

Congratulations Egar and good on you
    I've just recently bought my horse and found it an awfull job,people would tell you anything just to move their horse on. There are alot of poor horses out there left to rot but one less now thanks to you.If you can get him going nicely there is a market out there for decent riding horses. Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Ah fair play!!! keep us updated on how you get on!

• Advertisement

And here he is. I have changed his name to *Major* :D

253298_216914511666018_100000424117521_821191_8203836_n.jpg

247756_216914931665976_100000424117521_821195_8054957_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33 taceistagam

Fair play! Not a bad looking cob either!! He has a lovely neat head! Keep us updated if you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

He looks dead happy anyways Egar, I hope he knows how lucky he was!! Karen here is fasinated with horses with 4 white socks, shes always looking for them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭texasgal

I can't see the pics (darn work computer) but I'm glad he's happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

he's lovely Egar, would have been an awful waste for him to be put down, he's a lovely lad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

What are cobs trained for? Show jumping or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

UrbanSea wrote: »
    What are cobs trained for? Show jumping or what?

Cobs are great all rounders and are known for their safety. They're a good child's pony (provided you get one that's not too stubborn) and are great cart ponies and hacking ponies.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

well done to you, he looks a lovely fella.
    Good luck and hope you'll keep us updated with his progress

Quick update on the *little* man.

He is now halter trained and leading well. Comes to me in the field. Obviously, he is full of himself and likes to show off ;). But we are friends now :D.

309889_258592387498230_100000424117521_982490_1436218_n.jpg

309889_258592384164897_100000424117521_982489_7523817_n.jpg

Slowly does it and I am taking my time with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mrsbear

Lovely! Congrats :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

That's the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

what a star!:), all for the price of a packet of fags!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mack2

Come on whats the update on Major???? THe last pics were a huge improvement on the first!!!

Advertisement