Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO/ mature student conundrum, please help! :)

Options
  • 24-05-2011 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi All,

I have a question that I cannot find the answer to in the CAO handbook, or elsewhere. I applied through CAO as a mature student for 2 courses in CIT. They are both essentially the same course but one is a BSc and the other is BSc Honours. My question is this: if I am successful in interview would I be offered both courses seeing as they are different levels or would it be one or the other?
    I'd imagine that I would be offered both of them and given a choice but I just can't be sure. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks :)

Comments

I don't know for sure in the case of your particular course, although if you only get offered the lower level of the two, you may get the opportunity to further your study for an extra year to gain an honours degree when the time comes, all going well.

This is the case in many colleges/courses. Many students in the past have been gutted initially when they missd out on getting into honours (level 8)degrees, to eventually ace the Level 6/7 course they got offered instead and use them as stepping stones onto bigger and better things :)

Like I said I don't know what your course is, if the door for progression is shut if you except the lower of the two degrees, but most colleges are eager to facilitate progress for all their students, when they demonstrate that they are ready willing and able to do so ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 lickle mushroom

I probably differ to a lot of other people in that I actually want the ordinary level degree! The college does allow you to progress into 4th year of the hons course once you make the grades.
    The reason I'm hoping for the ordinary degree is that I'm 31 years old and I have yet to have children. I think it would be impractical of me to commit to a solid 4 years of full-time education at this point. I would much rather stick out the 3 years and have an ordinary degree at the end of it, with a view to furthering studies at a later date (or possibly right away, but at least I'd have the option!).
    Thanks a million for your feedback. I'm finding it difficult to find people in a similar situation.

Well if that's the case I would say you are in luck, if you get offered a place that is, if it's more practical for you to commit to a shorter course, then that can be facilitated. It's also worth knowing that, many hundreds of students each year will fall pregnant and go on to have children and that by no means says you will be kicked out and left to suffer!!! A friend of mine, a mature student at 32 and newlywed got pregnant during 2nd year of her 3 year teaching degree, and was allowed to defer for 2 years before going back to complete her degree :) It's good that you're thinking of these things, but life is so unpredictable and things don't always go to plan, but it's nice to be reassured that in scenario A or B the colleges are usually very good to facilitate. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 lickle mushroom

Thanks Sweetface, that's really reassuring. I'm just going to go with the flow and see what happens instead of fretting about it. Fingers crossed I'll be a student in September! :)
    Thanks again!

Advertisement