Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review of Mental Health Act

Options
  • 24-05-2011 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

A review of the Mental Health Act 2001 will commence this year and will be informed by a “human rights approach”.
    Departmental officials are currently engaged with the Health Research Board regarding the international evidence for a human rights-based approach to mental health legislation, Minister James Reilly said. A wide-ranging public consultation will also be undertaken.
    In 2009, the Board of the HSE approved an implementation plan for ‘A Vision for Change’ for the period 2009-2013. In November of that year, the Executive also appointed an Assistant National Director as the national lead to ensure the delivery of mental health services, in line with legislation and Government policy.
    The revised estimates for 2011 indicate expenditure of €920 million by the HSE on the delivery of mental health services; this represents almost 7.5 per cent of the total health budget.

http://www.imt.ie/news/latest-news/2011/05/review-of-act-is-to-be-built-on-human-rights.html

That's good news, isn't it? Does this mean that the recommendations for A Vision for Change are going to be properly implemented?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Velvety wrote: »
    Does this mean that the recommendations for A Vision for Change are going to be properly implemented?

Will it cost money? The budget for mental health has been cut this year.

Info from my local TD:
    Unfortunately you will note that funding for this year is cut by 1.8% despite the exceptionally low spending in Ireland on mental health as a proportion of the health spend. In addition new purposeful legislation to drive the agenda of community provision is not currently on the agenda.

My TD, knowing I have an interest in mental health regularly sends me updates. I can only urge everyone to get on to your TDs and let them know that the Mental Health services are in need of funding in order to roll out a decent service. :mad:

Advertisement