Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No UPC where im moving :( Broadband suggestions?

Options
  • 24-05-2011 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I'm moving to the middle of nowhere, a place where my 50meg brandband cannot follow.. The line supports normal copper wire broadband, but short of getting Eircom broadband which in the past has been more than horrible... any suggestions??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

JakHicks wrote: »
    I'm moving to the middle of nowhere, a place where my 50meg brandband cannot follow.. The line supports normal copper wire broadband, but short of getting Eircom broadband which in the past has been more than horrible... any suggestions??

How far from the exchange are you, do you know?
    Where is it?

My first suggestion would be Magnet tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JakHicks

'Im around two miles away from the exchange, that's pretty close i figure??

'Im around two miles away from the exchange, that's pretty close i figure??

Not close enough for nice fast broadband unfortunately. Hard to tell exactly, but you'd be looking at around 4mb BB I believe. If you can get the telephone number at that address, you can check for sure on any providers website.

Yeah, sites are saying it'll max out at 7.6mb! which is the highest over copper i believe? I'll see what i can find on magnet, once it a reasonable download cap it'll be grand :0 thanks!

Yeah, sites are saying it'll max out at 7.6mb! which is the highest over copper i believe? I'll see what i can find on magnet, once it a reasonable download cap it'll be grand :0 thanks!

The highest DSL connection you can get is 24mb. But, it all depends on the distance from the local exchange, and whether it is ADSL2+/ADSL/LLU etc. Lots of factors really. Best bet is to contact all the ISPs, and check with them. I'd start off with Magnet tbh. Or you could ask people in the vicinity. :)

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement

Sound! will let ye know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If the line is about 2 miles long, 4 or 5 mbps will be the highest speed. Magnet appear to have only unbundled a small number of exchanges which UPC mainly offer broadband in anyway. I don't think eircom or the resellers will offer you ADSL2+ even if it would help your speed somewhat, based on the length of the line.

There could be fixed wireless providers in the area which can and do offer speeds higher than that and often with better latency than eircom's interleaved DSL crap. Net1 in Louth/Meath would be my local example. You could make some enquiries into that too.

Advertisement