Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you fail an essay/continuous assessment in first year Arts History q?!!

Options
  • 24-05-2011 6:45pm

Do you fail the year automatically??? please anyone know?

Comments

say if you have 40% or more, will they still make u fail because u failed that one essay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

No you don't. I do History myself and I remember that for my first year exams they told us that we did not have to pass both papers to pass the subject overall. Our essays also counted in this.I don't know what the story is with first year history this year but I'm assuming they wouldn't fail you if you failed one essay.

My advice would be that if you really aren't sure, ask a lecturer/tutor. That's what they're there for:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

As long as your overall mark for the module is 40% or over you will pass. The marks for most modules are a combination of exam/continuous assessment (this includes essays). The ratio for a 5 credit module is usually 80/20 but the Book of Modules contains the exact info for each module.

This means that unless a student fails to submit an essay - and therefore gets 0 -they will get something - even a mark of 10% (i.e 10% of the 20 available) for an essay counts!

All essays/exams etc are each initially marked out of 100 so in the case of an essay for which a total of 20 'points' is available a mark of 50%=10 'points' / 75% = 15 'points'.

So the issue is not whether an essay is a 'pass' or 'fail' but rather the amount of marks out of 20 (usually) it got.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    As long as your overall mark for the module is 40% or over you will pass. The marks for most modules are a combination of exam/continuous assessment (this includes essays). The ratio for a 5 credit module is usually 80/20 but the Book of Modules contains the exact info for each module.

This means that unless a student fails to submit an essay - and therefore gets 0 -they will get something - even a mark of 10% (i.e 10% of the 20 available) for an essay counts!

All essays/exams etc are each initially marked out of 100 so in the case of an essay for which a total of 20 'points' is available a mark of 50%=10 'points' / 75% = 15 'points'.

So the issue is not whether an essay is a 'pass' or 'fail' but rather the amount of marks out of 20 (usually) it got.

thanks all of ye:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement