Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business, Computing and Digital Media

Options
  • 24-05-2011 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey I know this course has been discussed here before but there isn't many up to date posts with useful information.

I'm considering studying Business, Computing and Digital Media next year in GMIT, could anyone enlighten me to the pro's and con's of the course?

I understand there is an element of maths and accounting involved and that subjects you are not familiar with can be picked up fairly easily?

Any information on the course is a great help, Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

Overall it is a fairly simple course. Any maths/accounting is no more difficult than the same subjects at junior cert level.
    Low prospects of ever getting a job out of the 3 year course.
    Web design would be about your only hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jon44w

Thanks for the feedback. If I was to do it I'd do the 4th year for a degree....would it make a significant difference in terms of job prospects?

Why do you want to do this particular course? What aspects are you interested in?
    The fourth year will help but not much tbh. It's very basic stuff that's thought in the course and the fourth year is just a continuation of the same stuff.

Sound thanks. It seemed interesting but the more I look into it the more that seems to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

congress3 wrote: »
    Why do you want to do this particular course? What aspects are you interested in?
    The fourth year will help but not much tbh. It's very basic stuff that's thought in the course and the fourth year is just a continuation of the same stuff.

How would you know? You're doing Software Development...
    Half the subjects are shared with Software so what makes you think the other half are very basic?

• Advertisement

/\ Have you done the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭moldypeach

I've done the course. Not sure about job prospects after 4th year but i have just graduated and i wish i'd done the software development course jobs wise. If you go for any kind of digital media you would be better making up a good portfolio whilst in college to help you out. It's not the most challenging course but some people did find it hard. You have some programming languages at very basic levels and the maths in second year can be a challenge. Networking,systems analysis and databases are also fairly challenging subjects but it's not a bad course overall if you enjoy the creative sides of it.

Sound thanks for the feedback, I have untill friday to make up my mind :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

It has probably changed a lot since I did it but its probably worth doing for the comedic value of Dr. Bob!

You will find it hard to get a job out of it though! There are better I.T courses out there. If you are into programming, I would do the software development course; very tough but you will get a good job after it...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭moldypeach

llol yeah i'd definately do it all again just to be in class with Dr Bob :D

• Advertisement

Skyuser wrote: »
    How would you know? You're doing Software Development...
    Half the subjects are shared with Software so what makes you think the other half are very basic?

Lived with 2 people doing Digital Media for 2 of their final years.
    No it does not share half the subjects with software more like 3 or 4 out of 12.
    Several of the Lecturer's said "the Digi's" would be lucky to get a job out of it. They said that they hoped a few of them would get jobs in Web Design.

Also Dr. Bob is class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Milanmio

i got offered software development/level8 Athlone and soft dev/7 in Galway
    and have absolutely no idea where to go:) cos both courses seem to have
    similar modules. I know Galway might be fun...
    Anyone here that can compare these two(know students at other college)
    heeeeeeeeeeeelp.:)thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

The Software Development course is very highly regarded. I know someone who only did the diploma (Not sure if its still the same format) and he got a top job.

You better like programming though!

Advertisement