Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd Year English Modules - Attendance and Contribution

Options
  • 24-05-2011 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi Guys,

I've been looking at a lot of the course descriptors for 3rd year English modules, and noticed that most have 75% for the essay, and 25% for attendance and contribution. Can anyone who has recently done one of these modules tell me what is involved in the Attendance and Contribution component for the module?

I mean, surely it must be more than just attending the classes and contributing? 25% is huge. Can anyone tell me first, if they mark hard or not for A&C in 3rd year, and second, what is involved in the 'contribution' element?

Much appreicated.

Cheers Guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

When I did English in 2nd and 3rd year it was 75/25 for the option modules (don't think think it was the case for the core modules though).

In practice the contribution element really depends on the lecturer/tutor. Some will actually give you marks for just attending, but I wouldn't bet on it. It could also be based on how much you contribute to discussions about the text, give an opinion, etc... Some tutors may even give you little assignments to hand up. I had some tutors who allocated everyone a particular week to give a short presentation (nothing fancy, just read about an A4 page on what ever the topic was to the class). I had another who suggested we write up a paragraph or so every week on the text and give it to him to look over, just to keep us in "writing mode". Some may not even look for assignments. I wouldn't worry about too much, it's rarely a taxing task. I would keep the oul attendance up though! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I have just finished third year and from my experience it varies between the different lecturers. Most make everyone do a presentation and this is included in the A&C mark. Others have small assignments and an essay proposal document along with the presentation so bulking up the A&C section.

Contribution is just the normal class contribution. You are expected to be much more vocal in class compared to other years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 darragh90

Cheers for the help guys. I'm grand with essays like. It's just A7C is so much less clear cut and i think they're hard marks to get.

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

I found some lecturers divided it evenly between attendance and contribution ie if it was worth 25% in total it was 12.5% for each. Others were a little less clear, one for example told us if we attended 10 out of 12 tutorials we'd get full marks.... I miss English! And UCD in general to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Ninaluna wrote: »
    I found some lecturers divided it evenly between attendance and contribution ie if it was worth 25% in total it was 12.5% for each. Others were a little less clear, one for example told us if we attended 10 out of 12 tutorials we'd get full marks.... I miss English!

I remember seeing a marking scheme for attendance that suggested attending 9/10 was worth the same as attending 10/10. Much of a muchness I guess. I wasn't always the most talkative in class but attended most tutorials/seminars and seemed to do well on the A&C component. Hell, if attendance alone gets you 12.5% before you even write anything it's not too shabby.

• Advertisement
Advertisement