Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance in Dublin

Options
  • 24-05-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I was wondering would anyone be able to help me with some questions?

I just moved out of my parents' house and into a shared flat with 3 friends. I get on extremely well with my parents but a few months ago, they made it clear that I absolutely HAD to move out of their house and find somewhere for myself, I think they might be looking to move themselves. Anyway, I had no problem with this, I'm 23 years old, but I am unemployed and on a full-time FAS training course until August, for which I receive 200 euros a week (JSA and maintenance combined).
    In the flat I have to pay 272 euros a month for rent and I have just tried to apply for rent allowance, but when I had to get a signed letter from the Dublin City Council, they told me that there was absolutely no way I can get rent allowance unless I can prove that I was forced out of home by my parents with a letter from the gardai, or that I come from a different county (which I don't).

I live with 3 others in the flat and one of them is receiving rent allowance, but had no trouble at all with the city council.

I just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar experience? Is this the only way to qualify for rent allowance? My parents were never abusive or violent or anything like that, so I don't see how I could get a garda letter, but they did make it clear that once I was out of the house, I was not coming back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moved from Newbies & FAQ to State Benefits with redirect expiring in 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

To get rent allowance you need to either

1. Have been in rented accommodation for 6 months OR
    2. Be assessed by your local authority as in need of housing.

As you do not meet the first criteria, you must be assessed as in need of housing before being eligible for rent supplement. It may be that your friend was in rented accommodation before moving in which would explain how he got his without difficulties.

The council do not process the rent supplement application, they only carry out the assessment process. You should get a letter from your parents saying that they have kicked you out, I don't see how the gardaí are relevant here as it is a civil matter. Make sure you have submitted the application, and ask for a copy of the council's guidelines for these applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Cazzy25

Hi

Can I ask you got sorted? I am trying to apply for rent allowance myself and only get 188 a week and rent is around the 450 a month. (havent moved into yet) im so stressed and confused

Thanks

Advertisement