Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 years ago today.

Options
  • 24-05-2011 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

My mum died 10 years ago today. Normally I'm fine but today I feel sad and emotional and I miss her.
    So much has happened in the past ten years. My father has alzheimers and is now living in a care home. We could never have imagined this happening 10 years ago. I was just married (6 weeks) when she died and one of our last conversations was about my marriage and starting a family, and how happy she was that I had found my husband. There followed 7 years of hell trying to have our little boy - he's now 2 and she would have been so supportive through the difficult times and now she would have loved him so much.
    I don't know why this anniversary seems worse than previous years but it is. I feel as though I am on the verge of tears all day. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

*hug*

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'll second RangeR's hug!
    Somedays grief can blindside you, and it doesn't need to be an anniversary or an occasion.
    Time doesn't heal, it does however teach you to manage the loss, the grief....
    But somedays ya can't help but miss whats been taken!
    Feel better and look on the brightside, the grief, the loss its really only a symptom of the love you and your mam shared, the love your missing now but that will be in your heart and memories forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Thanks for the hugs and the words of wisdom!
    Some days are just worse than others I guess! Hope you're doing okay yourselves.

bubbaloo wrote: »
    I feel as though I am on the verge of tears all day. :(

My Mum passed away in 2004, I have never worked the day of her anniversary as I can't quite trust myself, 16 stone dudes with shaved heads can't pull off the crying gig at work :o

10 years is a fairly depressing milestone in missing someone, it can't have been an easy day for you. I feel closest to Mum when I really miss her and I take some comfort from that. Mum's Mum died when I was 8 or 9 and I remember the days when Mum missed her Mum, I suppose knowing that I feel as she did helps me somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Thanks RJ. I'm feeling a bit better now that I have the day over me.
    I was just so sad thinking about all the things she's missed out on - and all that we have missed out on by not having her here.
    My sister and I both have small kids and neither of them will know their granny on their mum's side. Thankfully both their grannies on their dad's sides are fantastic and are "granny" enough for 2! :)
    I know what you mean about "not trusting yourself". I was like that for a few years but I guess that's what surprised me this year - I thought I had gotten past that, but as you say, ten years is a milestone.
    Best of luck to you too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement