Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Birthday Bob Dylan

Options
  • 24-05-2011 6:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

70 years old today - Happy Birthday Bob - may you stay forever young!

Comments

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Congrats Bob...time to rest the voice now ol' boy;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

he has some rubbish songs but me and bobbie mcgee is a classic!

happy birthday bob!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Some Loudon Wainwright III seems appropriate:

Hey, Bob Dylan, I wrote you a song.
    Today is your birthday if I'm not wrong.
    If I'm not mistaken you're seventy today,
    How are you doin', Bob? What do you say?

Well, it musta been about '62,
    I heard you on record, and you were brand-new.
    An' some had some doubts about the way you sang,
    But the truth came through and loudly rang.
    Yeah, you were hipper than Mitch Miller,
    And Johnny Mathis, put together.

So I got some boots, a harmonica rack,
    A D-21, an' I was on the right track.
    But I didn't start writing until '68,
    It was too damn daunting, you were too great.
    I won a whole lot of Bob Dylan imitation contests, though

Yeah, times were a-changin',
    You brought it all home --
    "Blonde On Blonde", "Like a Rolling Stone" .
    The real world is crazy, you were deranged,
    An' when you went electric, why, everything changed --
    A shock to the system.

Had a commission at yer motorcycle wreck --
    Holed up in Woodstock, with a broken neck.
    The labels were signin' up guys with guitars, out to make millions, lookin' for stars.
    Well, I figured it was time to make my move --
    Songs from the West Chester County Delta country.

Yeah, I got a deal , and so did John Prine, Steve Forbert and Springsteen, all in a line.
    They were lookin' for you, signin' up others,
    We were "new Bob Dylans" -- your dumb-ass kid brothers.
    Well, we still get together every week at Bruce's house --
    Why, he's got quite a spread, I tell ya -- it's a twelve-step program.

Well, but we were just us and of course you were you,
    "John Wesley Harding" sure sounded new.
    And then "Nashville Skyline" was even newer,
    'Blood On the Tracks', an' the ringin' got truer.
    Let's see -- there was another one in there somewhere...oh, I got it, I got it -- "Self Portrait" --
    Well, it was an interesting effort.

Yeah, had to stop listening, times were too tough,
    Me bein' the new me was hard enough.
    You keep right on changin' like you always do,
    An' what's best is the old stuff still all sounds new..

Yeah, today is your birthday -- have a great one, Bob!
    Bein' the new you is one hell of a job.
    My kid cranked up her boom-box to almost grown
    When I heard you screamin'
    From her room
    "Everybody must get stoned."
    Thanks a lot, Bob.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Er... that was by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster. :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

nah pretty sure its dylan mate.

i have a mixtape with bobbie mcgee on it and there are other dylan tunes on the tape too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭darragh666

I would post a few of my favourite Dylan songs but they are unavailable on youtube. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

happy birthday bob!

It is a classic but Bob Dylan had nothing to do with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_and_Bobby_McGee
    "Me and Bobby McGee" is a song written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster, originally performed by Roger Miller, and later by others including Kristofferson himself, and also Janis Joplin, who topped the U.S. singles chart with the song in 1971, after her death, making the song the second posthumous number-one single in U.S. chart history after "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding.
    Anyway, happy birthday to Mr. Zimmerman. I went to see him live in Kilkenny in 2006. He didn't play most of my favourite songs but I'm still glad to have seen him. I think I still have the ticket somewhere.

My favourite Bob Dylan song is Mr. Tambourine Man. The lyrics are sheer poetry. Some of his lesser known (or less critically acclaimed) songs are great too. I love Wedding Song for instance.

lol looks like i got it well wrong there must have been a kris kristoffertson tape i was listening to then

that means there might be no bob dylan songs i like

so embarassing lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Happy birthday Bob, see you in the Marquee;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

the most overrated musician ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭del_c

A legend, consumate songwriter and remains prolific. Oh Mercy is am amazing album from round 1988...Modern Times from the 90s too brilliant. Even that Christmas album he did last year was great....and that's not even regarding his songs, some of which define the sixties.

No sign of him stopping yet either; deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can someone plz tell me ...why did he change his singing voice for the song lay lady lay?

del_c wrote: »
    A legend, consumate songwriter and remains prolific. Oh Mercy is am amazing album from round 1988...Modern Times from the 90s too brilliant. Even that Christmas album he did last year was great....and that's not even regarding his songs, some of which define the sixties.

No sign of him stopping yet either; deadly.

Oh Mercy was 1989. Modern Times was 2006.

fryup wrote: »
    can someone plz tell me ...why did he change his singing voice for the song lay lady lay?

This covers the stories I have read in Dylan biogs.
    Dylan was also singing with a soft, smooth, country-tinged croon, and many listeners were startled by this 'new' voice. Dylan attributed it to a break from cigarettes, but a number of friends and family members were able to draw a connection between his 'new' voice and the one he used while performing at the Ten O' Clock Scholar in Minneapolis and the Purple Onion pizza parlor in Saint Paul, during the winter and spring of 1960.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville_Skyline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

fryup wrote: »

Ive often wondered that too, but don't know the answer..he sounds very different on that track.
    Ive gone to see Bob twice, and have to say I didn't think his concerts were great, even though I love his music. Leonard Cohen- now theres a man who knows how do a concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Don't know if this should be a new thread but was anyone at the Salute him when his birthday comes gig with the Fleadh Cowboys in the Button Factory last night?

It was amazing - almost 5 solid hours of brilliant Irish artists interpreting Dylan songs in many and varied styles. Kevin Conniffe, Liam OMaonlai, Mundy, Noel Bridgeman, Gay Woods, Philip Donnelly, Lisa Hannigan, Ronan Collins, Grainne Duffy etc etc etc.

Fair play to the Cowboys and all their many ex members but especially to Pete Cummins for making it all happen. And all for charity for the Peter McVerry trust.

Not only did it show the amazing diversity of Dylans music but also the brilliant talent in this country. Brilliant night. Only downside was the crowd(including myself) were a bit mature for standing for all that time :):) - it was well worth it though.

Attached poster so as to list the people I left out:
    Show Information:
    The Fleadh Cowboys plus very special guests including; Liam O Maonlai , Mundy, Eleanor Shanley, Kevin Coneff, The Mighty Stef Colm Querney, Bree Harris, Gay Woods, Chris Meehan , Phil Callerly Siobhan O Brien, The Lost Brothers, Ed Deane, Nigel Mooney, Henry Mc Cullagh The Fleadh Cowboys are delighted to announces they are reforming for a Bob Dylan tribute gig on May 24th to be held in the Button Factory on the occasion of his 70th birthday. The show titled - Salute Him When His Birthday Comes – will feature The Fleadh Cowboys as the house band with guests artists including Liam O Maonlai , Mundy, Eleanor Shanley, Kevin Coneff, The Mighty Stef, Colm Querney, Bree Harris, Gay Woods, Chris Meehan , Phil Callerly, Siobhan O Brien, The Lost Brothers, Ed Deane, Nigel Mooney and Henry Mc Cullagh The last time The Fleadhs performed together as a band was for a similar concert to celebrate Bob’s 60th birthday in HQ in Dublin. That show was co - promoted with Larry Roddy and this one will honour his memory as Larry sadly passed away late in 2010. The Fleadhs played support to Bob Dylan in 1990 in the RDS. The Fleadh Cowboys are.. Pete Cummins, Frankie Lane, Tommy Moore, Paul Kelly, Trevor Knight, Fran Breen and Ger Kiely It will be a benefit gig for the - Peter McVerry Trust Peter McVerry Trust supports young homeless people to break the cycle of homelessness and move towards independent living through the provision of a continuum of care services.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

cucbuc wrote: »
    Ive often wondered that too, but don't know the answer..he sounds very different on that track.

I remember reading in the liner notes to Biograph that he'd been off cigarettes for a couple of weeks. [citation needed]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Re the voice change question: He also made references in Chronicles to changing his voice in order to put his fanatical fans off - anyone who has heard 'Self Portrait' might agree that he nearly succeeded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

Happy Birthday Bod like the music!

How long is he dead tho?

jimbob86 wrote: »
    How long is he dead tho?

He's alive and kicking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

jimbob86 wrote: »
    Happy Birthday Bod like the music!

How long is he dead tho?