Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lapierre Audacio 400

Options
  • 23-05-2011 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I've been looking at a few bikes on cycle to work scheme.

What's the general opinion on the Lapierre Audacio 400 (CT)? I've yet to test ride it but i did think the weight felt pretty light.
    From reading previous posts I see Cycle superstore have a tendency to push the Lapierre's given they are the main dealer but in fairness the sales staff member did show me other stuff and seemed 'fairly' unbiased when comparing the pros and cons vs a Cube or Giant.
    From what I've seen, it's hard to buy a new bike in most stores for €1000 with anything above Sora on it. I know the focus are a good bike with 105's but I kinda like the idea of having a place to bring bike back to for any warranty issues/servicing etc.
    I can get it for €945.

Frame: AUDACIO 400 CP Alloy 7005 DB
    Fork: LAPIERRE Carbon Alloy Steerer 2011
    Headset: PT 1" 1/8 Black Semi integrated
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano SM-FC4500
    Crankset: SHIMANO Tiagra CP 50/34
    Stem: RITCHEY 4bolts 6°x90mm
    Seatpost: RITCHEY 31.6x300
    Handlesbars: RITCHEY Logic 40cm
    Front derailleur: SHIMANO Tiagra FD4500BL
    Rear derailleur: SHIMANO Tiagra 4500SS
    Brakes: SHIMANO BR4500 Tiagra
    Shifters: SHIMANO Tiagra
    Saddle: PONZA Power White/Blue
    Wheel: SHIMANO WHR500 Black/Silver
    Sprocket: Shimano HG50 13x25 9S
    Tires: MICHELIN Dynamic Sport TS 700x23
    Weight: 9 kg
    Technologies: Tube to Tube « T3 Technology »

Any other suggestions for something better value for money?
    I currently run and swim and am looking to cycling to mix things up a bit for training.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Idioteque wrote: »
    I currently run and swim and am looking to cycling to mix things up a bit for training.
    Oh man have you stumbled into the wrong place if you are what this suggests :D

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

That bike is actually pretty heavy and handles like a tonne of bricks when descending.
    The PX with Sram rival for about 350 extra is a much better choice,imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

My gf has the lapierre audacio 300 (the sora one). I was a bit sceptical when she chose that one because the spec is less that impressive but I must say it's a lovely frame, very pretty and rides very well. I don't know if the 400 is the same frame as the 300 (although I presume they're at least fairly similar if not identical apart from paint-work) but if it is then it's light(ish), stiff and very responsive and one of the nicer alluminium frame bikes I've ridden.

Having said that you can get much better value from the likes of canyon or planet-x although you might have to up your budget a bit.

Most of the frequent users here along with myself have no fears about buying online (apart from the odd CC fraud). My knowledge of the current market would be from internet window shopping so I'm not really in a position to advise you on the "value" of the Lapierre. However, two bikes that are better specced and will cost you less are the Canyon (the brand which Tonyandthewhale mentioned) and this from Merlin Cycles which, if you freely register for their VIP membership, you can get a further 10% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

i bought one of these last year as my first road bike and have been riding it since.

although it's fine and has done the job so far i now wish i had looked into things a bit further before my purchase- for an extra couple of hundred quid you can def get a better spec'd bike as the contributors above have mentioned.

if you start to enjoy road biking at all you'll be looking to upgrade to something a bit better anyway, so i reckon you'd be better off spending that small bit extra to get yourself a bike that you'll end up holding onto for longer

• Advertisement

The two bikes which I've mentioned above will actually cost LESS than the Lapierre.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Lemag wrote: »
    The two bikes which I've mentioned above will actually cost LESS than the Lapierre.

go on-rub it in there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Thanks everyone for the reply!
    Have to say I do like the look of the Canyon both aesthetically and features wise!
    Might just bite the bullet and get something online as it deffo seems like I'll get more bang for my buck!

Idioteque

No worries. The Canyon will come mostly assembled with all of the hard bits done for you. Not too sure about the Merlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Edgar Eats

is it possible to get the canyon thru the bike-to-work scheme?
    does the dealer not need to be registered or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Edgar Eats wrote: »
    is it possible to get the canyon thru the bike-to-work scheme?
    does the dealer not need to be registered or something?
    Yes it is possible and no the dealer does not need to be registered, although whether your particular employer allows it is a different question.

Advertisement