Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Site Advice

Options
  • 23-05-2011 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I have recently launched my website. I'm wondering about building a database.

I want to fax, email and text people. Can you buy one? I've started to build my own but at a loss as to what to do next.

Any ideas?

I'm using google ad words and facebook also.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Can you state more clearly what you want to do?

"Building" a database is simple
    "Populating" the database (putting in data) is a whole other story, as is maintaining it

Where do you plan to get the contact details? Is that what you mean by "buy" ?
    Make sure you comply with the data protection act

Will the database be online or on an office computer?

What do you want them for - e.g a newsletter ? A link to your site ?
    Make sure you don't send SPAM, and make sure that people can opt-out at any stage

Basically, you need to be very clear what you want to do, and also make sure you don't break the law and/or piss people off

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Days

I want to get in contact with potential customers. I was hoping to offer special discounts to staff members of big companies. So want to contact the companies.
    I also want to get mobile numbers to text members of the general public.
    I want them for a newsletter.
    I serioulsy do not want to break the law or annoy people. There will be an opt out option.
    By 'Buy' I mean purchanse phone numbers of a particular target market.
    Thanks
    Days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Days wrote: »
    I want to get in contact with potential customers. I was hoping to offer special discounts to staff members of big companies. So want to contact the companies.
    I also want to get mobile numbers to text members of the general public.
    I want them for a newsletter.
    I serioulsy do not want to break the law or annoy people. There will be an opt out option.
    By 'Buy' I mean purchanse phone numbers of a particular target market.
    Thanks
    Days

European law dictates opt-in, and while there's leeway re a company's "public/generic" email address, be very, very careful!

So if you are going the "buy" route, make sure that it's a legit source.

And for text numbers of private individuals, don't go there unless they've personally dealt with your company and/or have agreed to opt in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

and if the data is going to be hosted online don't forget upcoming data protection where none if it can be stored in clear text, needs encrypting (ssl) and on and on.

Advertisement