Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good vacuum cleaner

Options
  • 22-05-2011 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

Have had a Dyson for 9 years and found it an excellent machine. However it has lost a lot of its power so looking to replace it. Whats the best vacuum cleaner on the market and where is best place to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 icanhelp

Miele vacuums are the best on the market I have one for years and still working very well.

http://www.electricshop.ie/product/S5211_Bag_Vacuum_Cleaner_Black_S5211

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

+1 for Miele, great vacuum cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Why has it lost its power? I have had to replace the 'lifetime' fliter (cost €13.50) good as new after that. I think there is a set service fee from Dyson, something like €75.00, they call and replace whatever is needed (cable winder and pole thing in our case). Our machine is 12 years old.

I mean if you really are happy with it why replace it? Now if you want to buy a new machine, go for miele.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Good old HENRY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Why has it lost its power? I have had to replace the 'lifetime' fliter (cost €13.50) good as new after that. I think there is a set service fee from Dyson, something like €75.00, they call and replace whatever is needed (cable winder and pole thing in our case). Our machine is 12 years old.

I mean if you really are happy with it why replace it? Now if you want to buy a new machine, go for miele.

Hi Wally, where did you get the replacement 'lifetime' filter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Power city? I have a DC05 (I think). I am sure any good electrical retailer would have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Got a new filter and my 9 year old dyson is as good as new. Result!
    Screw Miele, Dyson rocks! Superb customer service.

Thanks Wally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PottyDave

Hi All
    Well I've always been a Dyson man. Worth the money just to see the mountain of cats hairs flying around in the cylinder. My girlfriend though has just bought a new one for her flat and golden retriever. Now that does shed hairs! Will try and find out what she bought as she swears by it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PottyDave

Here we go! Not sure which one it is but she says it's the best vacuum cleaner she's ever bought. One of the upright models. More suction than your average black hole apparently! http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/Vacuum+Cleaners/Overview/291294/index.html
    Hopefully tomorrow when she's sober she'll be able to read the model number!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Birroc wrote: »
    Have had a Dyson for 9 years and found it an excellent machine. However it has lost a lot of its power so looking to replace it. Whats the best vacuum cleaner on the market and where is best place to buy?

Well Birroc...how does this story end? Likewise, my Dyson animal is starting to fall to bits and lose its suction and bits are falling off it. So, it looks like we're in the market for a replacement. Dyson or Miele.....??

PS: If you ever get a building job done in your home resign yourself to the fact that your vacuum cleaner won't survive the experience for long after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Henry is a very good machine at a good price. Many commercial cleaners use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

I really like Henry cleaners:D.

Our first one we left at a house we sold as didn't have room to bring it. It was still going strong at aged 21 years. Bought in 1991 and it had a brown top.. It never had any replacement parts:D.

Bought the new henry turbo here and find trying to clean rugs with the turbo/high power it's like having a workout in a gym:eek: Only use it sometimes for wooden floors, mostly just in normal mode.

The only thing with henry for the older person they are quite heavy if you have to take them upstairs. Ours is a bungalow so we just drag it around with the hose:o The ideal in a house would be 2, one for up and downstairs for the older person.

Stove Fan:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

lomb wrote: »
    Henry is a very good machine at a good price. Many commercial cleaners use them.

Even 1 of the night cleaners in Tallaght Hospital who was caught in an "awkward" position with one a few years back.:eek::D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Henry Hoovers,Dyson or Nilfisk are all good.

Ive a Dyson and it picks up all sorts of crap,from fish tank substrate,to dust,dirt,bits of plaster,stone and sawdust from when the builders where in my home working away.

A quick clean out every month and a wash of the filter,and its still flying after having it for 5 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭vulmac

Dyson still the best

Advertisement