Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mint.com

Options
  • 22-05-2011 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I read somewhere about a website

https://www.mint.com/

being very good for keeping track of your spending ....
    The website doesn't cover Ireland does anybody know of similar websites in Ireland that would do the same job?

Thanks
    Gamby

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

+1 on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Bump?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭AlbionCat

Hi Guys,

There are essentially three choices here - software on a local PC/laptop or an App for Phone/Tablet or an Online Website

Local PC/Laptop
    I use some software called BankTree which allows me to keep track of DDs, SO and other outgoing expenses alongside various Bank Accounts and Credit Card. (It allows import of statement data from online accounts, so if you access your bank account online and can download your statement in at loeast CSV or QIF format your are good to go. It is not free however. - Cost me about £25.00 4 years ago and I find it easy to use.

I also had a root around and Microsoft have a free household budget template for download at http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/templates/monthly-household-budget-TC101927369.aspx (Excel 2007)

If you dont have Microsft Excel then try a google for "Open Office"- this is a freeware alternative to MS Office and is just as good - will open various MS office formats (Word, excel etc). Of course if you use a spreadsheet, you can use Google Docs and a relevant App and down/up load to your devices without expensive software.

Online Websites
    I also did TWO Google searches:

1. "Household Expenses software" and got back a fair few hits. This is primarily for software to install on a laptop/PC which will accept downloads

A Which Report gives a list of payable versions of software - it does not rate BankTree , but rates Accountz which I found awful, so just goes to show...

2. Google "Household Expenses online website". This also returned a fair few online websites - most seem to offer a simple service (free) or premium service (chargeable). And all in Dollars :(

About.com has some recommendations for online web personal finance (14 of them).

App Store
    I would also stick a search in on your respective App Store for "Personal Finance" and see what comes back based on the fact the phones / devices are registered in Ireland. Some Apps may sync back to an Online web account so it might be easier to find what you want via an App Store search, rather than Google.
    I used one for tracking business expnses 5/6 years ago, but ended up using a spreadsheet on an ipod and emailing it to myself.

Lastly - A couple of tips. When looking at a website if there are any demo vids or trial periods check them out first before buying software. Nothing worse than buying something you dont get on with.

Secondly, dependant on how complex the websites are (some can interlink with bank accounts) make sure it is a reputable web site / company. The last thing you want is some swanning off with your bank account details. I always google "Complaints about <company name>" before I do business with a company I have not heard off or used before.

Hope this helps - if you get anywhere with anything, post back with what you chose - it might help someone in the future. Keeping an eye on finances goes along way to stopping heartbreak in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

http://www.moneydashboard.com/

Got a big investment recently but only seems to work for people with a UK postcode... even thought BOI AIB and ULSTER BANK are all supported...

I'm currently keeping receipts for everything I spend, then hand writing it into a ledger and at the end of the month I put it into a budgeting app called YNAB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Fruit1985

Anyone else found anything here please?

No websites like this for Ireland it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

I'm with AIB and their online banking is decent for analyzing spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Bill guard - personal finance, app available on android and I think iOS.

Used out for a while and found it good.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

StickyIcky wrote: »
    http://www.moneydashboard.com/

Got a big investment recently but only seems to work for people with a UK postcode... even thought BOI AIB and ULSTER BANK are all supported...

I'm currently keeping receipts for everything I spend, then hand writing it into a ledger and at the end of the month I put it into a budgeting app called YNAB

Has anyone tried these guys? My paranoia makes me reluctant to add my bank account details :D

Has anyone tried these guys? My paranoia makes me reluctant to add my bank account details :D

I decided to bite the bullet and give it a try. Here's a summary-so-far for anyone else thinking of trying it.

Logged into BOI no problem.
    Current Account details appearing no problem.
    Can't see any way to get credit card details linked to this account.

And that's it. I've no other savings accounts, etc. linked to this account. I'm not sure how useful it'll be without getting cc details too but I'll try it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mnemocat

hey guys!
    talking_walnut when you say you decided to give it a try, you mean that you used a friend postal code to create an account?

once logged in did you have any problems signing up your bank account?
    thanks

• Advertisement

mnemocat wrote: »
    hey guys!
    talking_walnut when you say you decided to give it a try, you mean that you used a friend postal code to create an account?

once logged in did you have any problems signing up your bank account?
    thanks

I can't remember what postcode I used but I gave a UK one and registered no problem. It was probably either Parcel Motels Antrim postcode or the Belfast one given in the Freebies thread over on the Bargain Alerts forum.

It connected to my BOI account without any problems. Can't speak for any of the other banks but I'm sure they'd work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mnemocat

Thank you very much for replying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭boardtc

Does the Free Mint budgeting app work with Irish bank accounts like BOI and PTSB?

Advertisement