Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinks Offers Legality?

Options
  • 22-05-2011 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Just wondering what is legal and what is now when it comes to drink's offers?

The disco bar I work in opens 2 nights a week with these offer's
    Pint of Tennant's Lager - €3
    Long Neck Bud or Miller - €3
    Whiskey or Peach Schnapps - €3
    Captain Morgan & Coke - €4
    Double Vodka & Red Bull - €8
    Large Sex On The Beach - €5
    Fat Frog - €10
    Large bottle of Red/White Wine - €10
    Smirnoff Ice or WKD or Bacardi Breezer - €3.50

And a local publican has gone to the fast food outlets in the town taking down the posters telling the owners of the outlets that the offers are illegal and he's reporting the offers to the national consumer agency
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

As far as I know once the prices are shown no offers are illegal for a bar, but I'm 99% sure you are breaking the law putting advertising up in other places

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

If they are the prices for those drinks all the time then there should not be a problem. Any price can be set. It would be illegal if they were a higher price at some stage of the day/night, then reduced for "happy hour".

Dont think it is illegal to advertise it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

what bar do you work in and whats your best whiskey!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

what bar do you work in and whats your best whiskey!!!! :D

Don't get excited its a disco bar so Jameson, Bushmills, Paddy & Powers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

The disco bar I work in opens 2 nights a week with these offer's

If prices are different on the five other nights of the week and that ISNT stated on the advert then it would be counted as false of misleading advertising (Consumer information act 1978)

Although for instance if the sign stated the following!

Every Friday & Saturday!
    Fat Frog - €10
    It would be fine.

Although the other publican just sounds like a jealous douche bag who is suffering from a loss of business from ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Once the offer runs for the full night and is not a 'happy hour' promo then there is nothing illegal about it, just sounds like sours grapes on behalf of the other Publican.

PS, where is your club??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 MOHPremierWine

From what information you have provided, there is nothing illegal about it.
    There is a voluntary code of practice in relation to marketing alcohol, and one of the principles of it relates to promotion of binge drinking. A Happy Hour would be viewed as encouraging binge drinking.
    MEAS/ABFI run this scheme, and are happy to advise when asked.
    They would also advocate a 'Drink Responsibly' message on all communications, and will provide you with the logo for that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There is a voluntary code of practice in relation to marketing alcohol, and one of the principles of it relates to promotion of binge drinking. A Happy Hour would be viewed as encouraging binge drinking.
    It's also illegal by statute (Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003).

Under the 2008 act, the Minister for Justice can ban "anything that is intended or likely to encourage persons in that place to consume intoxicating liquor to an excessive extent", which theoretically could apply to the OP's prices, but isn't very likely, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

BeerNut wrote: »

Under the 2008 act, the Minister for Justice can ban "anything that is intended or likely to encourage persons in that place to consume intoxicating liquor to an excessive extent", which theoretically could apply to the OP's prices, but isn't very likely, IMO.

Fat Frog - €10

All these words scream binge and excess to me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

What about a bar that changes prices as the night goes on?

In Dublin there's a 'stock exchange' event where the prices vary with demand - ie if nobody is drinking Guinness then the price falls but if everyone drinks Bulmers then the Bulmers Price rises...?

• Advertisement

Cliste wrote: »
    What about a bar that changes prices as the night goes on?
    The price may only go upwards, and all prices and the corresponding times have to be advertised.

The price may only go upwards, and all prices and the corresponding times have to be advertised.

Is this new legislation? :eek:

2003. See link above.

2003. See link above.

I thought there was legislation like that alright, anyway I'll stop talking before I get any drinking joints I like shut :rolleyes:

*walks away whistling*

Advertisement