Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver of the race: Round 5 - Spanish Grand Prix

Options
  • 22-05-2011 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

So who everyone's driver of the day?

Lots to choose from with Vettel taking another win but having to force his way through the field after his first pitstop. He was flawless as ever and a throughly deserving victor.

Lewis Hamilton was one second off the pace in qualifying and exceptionally glum as he talked of his prospects in the race. As ever the McLaren was much more competitive in race trim and Hamilton was as inspired as ever. Ultimately he was not able to get past Vettel at the end but this was one of the former world champion's best drives in Formula 1.

Jenson Button overcame a terrible start to finish on the podium after coming from 10th on the opening lap. Using a different strategy to the rest of the field the Englishman got far more from this race than he could have imagined at the start.

Nick Heidfeld came from the very back of the field to finish eighth. The Renault driver smartly moved past his rivals using his fresher rubber but a superb drive from the German none the less.

Driver of the race 41 votes

Sebastian Vettel
    0%
    Mark Webber
    26%
    De Hipsterrecyclebinlord lucanEvilMonkeyCarroller16Grim.Stevie Dakotavincenzolorenzomuller25FREDNISMOcupcakedan 11 votes
    Lewis Hamilton
    0%
    Jenson Button
    26%
    TheFatjhegartyAlunvectra[Deleted User]Ghost Trainfrostie500cherryghostsmooch71Glico ManSheeps 11 votes
    Fernando Alonso
    14%
    smellslikeshoesMyrddinCookie_MonsterSparks43LionbackerAutosport 6 votes
    Felipe Massa
    2%
    Kevski 1 vote
    Michael Schumacher
    0%
    Nico Rosberg
    9%
    LIGHTNINGmickdwpdbhpSpudman_20000 4 votes
    Nick Heidfeld
    2%
    losthorizon 1 vote
    Vitaly Petrov
    14%
    FirewalkwithmeVegetakeithohIron HideratedRShay Vader 6 votes
    Rubens Barrichello
    0%
    Pastor Maldonado
    0%
    Adrian Sutil
    0%
    Paul di Resta
    0%
    Kamui Kobayashi
    0%
    Sergio Perez
    2%
    freestyla 1 vote
    Sebastian Buemi
    0%
    Jamie Alguersuari
    0%
    Heikki Kovalainen
    0%
    Jarno Truli
    0%
    Narain Karthikeyan
    0%
    Tonio Liuzzi
    0%
    Timo Glock
    0%
    Jerome D'Ambrosio
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Fernando Alonso
    Button for me. I know he made a balls of the start and dropped back to tenth but getting back up to finish third in front of Alonso and Webber really was some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Jenson Button
    Has to be Hamilton..
    He is driving that car way beyond its abilities..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Mark Webber
    Vettel for me. Showed again that it's not just a case of scampering away from the start and having a clear run. Dealt particularly well with those ahead of him on his out laps and drove very well to hold off Hamilton at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Fernando Alonso
    Button gets my vote, a disaster of a start but made his way up through the field and got on the podium. Keep it up Button :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Vitaly Petrov
    I voted for Heidfeld, because I'm a fan.

But Button drove great too, as did MS at last, and of course Hamilton.

Vettel though, I have to say, has started to prove me wrong. When he came out from the first pitstop and made the 2 moves, that probably won him the race.

Don't think Webber will recover from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Nico Rosberg
    Schumacher drove a decent race. Im sure he is under a serious amount of pressure there and will want to have a decent run for the rest of this season.
    I dont think his seat is in danger though. Im sure mercedes are happy enough with the driver position at the minute. If people are not remembering his past they should then at least treat him as fairly as a rookie. IMO, his performances to date are more than good enough to retain the seat regardless of who he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Jenson Button
    Hamilton , but only by 0.0001% over Vettel.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

Had to have been D'ambrosio

What a man. Just, what a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Nick Heidfeld
    I actually meant to give my vote to Schumacher but hit the Rosberg option by mistake:o. For me Schumi did most with the equipment given to him. Vettel drove the fastest and best car to first place - doesnt make him driver of the day imo. The two Mclarens are next fastest with Hamilton shading Button. They finished where you would expect them to finish with the exception of the other Red Bull. The big loser was Webber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Sergio Perez
    I actually meant to give my vote to Schumacher but hit the Rosberg option by mistake:o. For me Schumi did most with the equipment given to him. Vettel drove the fastest and best car to first place - doesnt make him driver of the day imo. The two Mclarens are next fastest with Hamilton shading Button. They finished where you would expect them to finish with the exception of the other Red Bull. The big loser was Webber.

Schumi got as good start as Alonso, and imo thats the only thing he did better than Nico who drove without DRS and radio connection, so you didnt hit badly :) These both drivers are really struggling with Mercedes :(

I vote my man Kobayashi-san.. probably was leaning forward in a car just to push it to that 1 point :P

Heidfeld very good too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭FREDNISMO

Mark Webber
    For me a tough choice between Vettel or Hamilton I went for Vettel, I agree with Lightning about Massa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Mark Webber
    Vettel's outlap was astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Jenson Button
    Hamilton for me, enjoyed watching him push Vettel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Mark Webber
    vettel for me enjoyed watching him beat hamilton :P

Advertisement