Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Monsterous Regiment Question

• 22-05-2011 4:43pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was just wondering about the timeline for this book regarding Vimes.

It was mentioned at one point (I'm trying to find the exact text) that Vimes was wearing sergeant's stripes. I thought though at this point he was Commander/Duke.

Maybe he was just wearing them cos he's like that?? Or maybe I dreamt it and it never happened :o

Just looking for clarification as it was bugging me :)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Yes, I think Vimes is a Duke by then, and Commander of the Watch, but I don't remember any reference to sergeant's stripes. :confused:

See if you can find the passage?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Pretty sure he was Duke in Monstrous Regiment, but I have been known to be mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

have just started re-reading this funnily enough!

Will post back if I find a reference to it.

You're not mixing him up with Sgt. Jackrum are you?

About a quarter of the way in polly finds a piece of the times (so it's after 'the truth') with an article mentioning Vimes calling him 'his grace' and 'commander'. So he is definitely a Duke at that stage.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

I figured as much. And nope don't think I'm messing him up with Jackrum.

(awesome book btw)

Can't find the passge but I believe it was when polly
    met high command towards the end and Vimes was in the background smoking a cigar and 'grinning'

Must have read it wrong....or dreamt it :P

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I think I remember something about polly thinking Vimes "looks like a sergeant" or " looks like a sergeant type person" when she enters the castle and meets the commanders?

Yeah, just getting to the last quarter of the book.
    When they first meet the Officers in the keep they notice Vimes in the background with workmanlike armour.

Blouse remarks that he looks like a sergeant and Polly says "but he doesn't have any stripes!".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Opinicus wrote: »
    Yeah, just getting to the last quarter of the book.
    When they first meet the Officers in the keep they notice Vimes in the background with workmanlike armour.

Blouse remarks that he looks like a sergeant and Polly says "but he doesn't have any stripes!".

That clears it up nicely :)

Many thanks.

Advertisement