Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New limbs!!

Options
  • 22-05-2011 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone could give me some advise on some limbs. I'm currently shooting 32 pound limbs (pulling at 35) "sf premium". They seem to be alright but compared to drawing on other peoples limbs they seem fairly unstable :/

Just wondering what would be a good set of limbs for around the €180-200 mark??

Thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Ignore everyone else. Decide for yourself.

Check your bow is set up properly....Brace height, nock height, tiller, poundage matching arrow spine. If the bow is still not shooting to your satisfaction then consider buying new limbs.

If you want to buy new limbs because you want better limbs, then just do it. The Kaya Tomcat Carbon limbs are reputed to be good limbs for their cost.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Random Interjection

I'm not certain you could obtain a new limb for 180 to 200 Euro. Kidneys on the black market sell for around $85000 US (from a recent article I read). So a new arm or leg would cost substantially more I imagine. Plus attaching a new limb would involve complicated risky surgery. I'm not sure the reward outweighs the risk. Perhaps an easier solution would be you could hit the gym. Such weights as the Benchpress, deadlifts, shoulderpress would add substantial strength to your already existing limbs. I hope this helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Until you are getting limbs in the region of 40+, there is generally no real need to break the bank, or even throw a rock at the bank, as you will soon outgrow them again.

Don't be afraid to go for fairly cheap looking limbs but at the right poundage. The Kaya Tomcat (Fiber or Carbon) are fairly good and at a fair price. Even so, if you are going to get even stronger (as in, train quite a bit) then even cheaper limbs like the Samick Vision will build up strength.

As was mentioned though, "unstable" limbs are often due to tuning issues rather than the limbs themselves. Give the bow a good tune-up and then see how the current limbs behave, you'll be surprised what a tuning session will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr X15

+1 on the tuning advice, if you mean the arrow flight is unstable. If you mean the limbs feel like they're stacking (weight suddenly jumps as you reach your full draw) or just feel a bit harsh compared to the limbs you've compared them to, this is just a hazard of cheap limbs or a bow that is too short for the shooter.
    I have a 30inch-ish draw length and my first bow was a samick privilege, 30 lb limbs, 66inch bow. As most people could tell you, that's a bit short for my draw length, and combined with those cheap limbs, let me tell you that thing was a harsh little bow! I ended up pulling 38lbs on the 30lb limbs and they stacked like crazy as they approached my draw length. Fast bow, but making me do more work than I needed to be doing.
    When I moved onto a set of KAP carbon limbs at the same length but 34lbs it got me into the 42 lbs range, as they were still cheap limbs but they felt a little smoother because of higher quality construction.
    At the moment I'm shooting a set of 40lb Samick Athlete carbon limbs and they make up a 68inch bow on my new, longer riser. Just using this longer bow in combination with the far better limbs has made the draw much more smooth and stable. I've only made a jump up to 44-45lbs on these. So using the right length and limbs that don't stack much has given me a 4 or 5 lb jump over the marked weight, versus an 8 pound jump on a bow that was too short for me and cheap limbs.

As was said before, unless you are approaching a 40 ish pound draw weight on your fingers with the bow you are using (assuming it is your goal to be shooting a full distance FITA or just want to be able to) then you may as well cheap out on your limbs and use them as stepping stones into the weight range you want to be at. The Samick privilege limbs are good for their price but I think they max out at about your current draw weight. If you felt like kludging your way to the draw weight with cheap limbs you could do what I accidentally did, shooting a shorter bow than is optimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Deeds35

Merlin Archery have a special on W & W Pro Accent limbs. I am not sure if they deliver to Ireland. I use those limbs on my recurve and was recommended them by a GMB archer who used to shoot for the GB squad. He bought the new W & W Innos and actually went back to his Pro Accents

• Advertisement
Advertisement