Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Passport

Options
  • 22-05-2011 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everyone,
    I'am just after buying my first horse and he has no passport I have no record of his breeding so I dont know who I should register him with for a passport.Also I was wondering if I have to get him microchipped I had him vetted before I bought him and he's markings are recorded on his cert ,is that enough.?As you can imagine I ve spent a lot of money getting started so if I could avoid another vet visit I would.He is a beautifull Bay Hunter about 12 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

http://www.horsepassportagency.ie

for answers, It shouldn't be possible to buy a horse these days without a passport. Technically you can't transport one without one! Get it chipped, and passported asap.

Oh forgot to say well done, have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Squ1ggle

It is very easy to get a White passport for a horse when you don't know the breeding. I had to do it for both of my horses after I bought them. Yes, they are not supposed to be transported or sold without one but it happens regularly. Contact the Irish horse board in Kildare and they will give you details. http://www.irishsporthorse.com
    You will need the marking sheet from your vet & also a microchip number. Just because you don't have a passport for your horse doesn't necessarily mean that he was never registered. Some unscrupulous sellers have been known to "lose" the passport (eg. For a failed racehorse) if they don't want the horses history known.
    Happy riding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mtagrookery

Thank you for the advice,I'll get on to it asap unfortunately some of these things you only find out as you go along. All going well with him so far and thank god he's certainly not an ex-race horse!!He's a real oul pet!!
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

This is no disrespect to you MTA but buying a horse can be quite tricky. Between passports, breeding, hidden injuries, stolen horses and doping there are a lot of people trying to scam good people.

This is aimed at Convert (mod) but would it be an idea if we through together a sticky on things to watch out for when buying a horse or a Do's and Donts? Maybe legally its too risky but might be a good idea for new riders and owners.

Eoghan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

twomeys wrote: »
    This is no disrespect to you MTA but buying a horse can be quite tricky. Between passports, breeding, hidden injuries, stolen horses and doping there are a lot of people trying to scam good people.

This is aimed at Convert (mod) but would it be an idea if we through together a sticky on things to watch out for when buying a horse or a Do's and Donts? Maybe legally its too risky but might be a good idea for new riders and owners.

Eoghan

I think that would be a great help to new riders / owners. As someone who is considering this route and being put off by all the minefields out there.

Billy Joel know a thing or two when he wrote "Honesty is such a lonely word"

• Advertisement
Advertisement