Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designing a website

Options
  • 22-05-2011 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am considering setting up a website and just wondering what is the best option. Is it expensive to set up? Should I be looking at using a free web host first to see if there's interest etc. in it? What are the best free options available?

Is it a lot of effort in designing and running a site(I know that kind of depends on how often I plan on updating the site)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

All depends on the purpose. Is this a business or personal web site? WHat do you want to achieve from it?

Your objectives will dictate how you will proceed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What Brian said above.....

It depends on what it's for, what it'll do, what you aim to achieve, and so on.

Brochure site, eCommerce site, database-driven membership site, templated vs custom design, basic CMS vs site-specific CMS, etc, all have different prices and options

And how often you update the content shouldn't make a difference, once you initially specify that you want that option (i.e. a Content Management is part of the requirements and the quotation) then the CMS, once installed, will allow you to update it yourself as often as you like for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You need to be a lot more specific. Saying 'I want to set up a website' is a bit like saying 'I want to construct a building' which could be anything from a garden shed to a skyscraper. So, as already said, what's it for and also what might it become in the future? Who is going to use it? How? And so on. The more info the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

A website for tourists to a particular part of Ireland. Lots of photos of places to see, maybe videos. Reviews and information on places to go etc.

Just an idea at the moment, may never happen but just wondering what sort of prices I'd be expecting to fork out. Doesn't have to be the most snazzy website in the beginning. Depending on popularity then I could make more changes to make it better on the eye but at the moment, it'd just be something to do on the side as a hobby. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

For this i would recommend maybe a joomla site which is free to download and then just pay for hosting which can be cheap depending on who you go with and how long you want the site hosted........

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 chickenrun2011

If you want to set up a website yourself with easy to use templates, try http://www.jimdo.com/index.php . It's free for a basic package and very easy to use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭stephenpalmer

I wouldn't go near free hosting. It is relatively cheap to do this hosting your talking $4 a month and domain name 10$ a year. Free hosting your stuck with their ads on your page etc.

I would recommend GoDaddy they have everything you will need. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Busnardo

To give an accurate quote on this you will need to tell us a bit more....

You will need a brand designed (colour scheme, logo etc.) You can get this done very cheaply but to get it done properly will cost at least €250

The website itself could cost anywhere between €600 - €6000. How well designed do you want it? Arranging photos nicely in beautiful slideshows and carousels, designing multiple iterations of sites and building databases and backend development for login sections, B&B details etc all takes time, which costs money.

Colm

Advertisement