Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Commuter Towns

Options
  • 21-05-2011 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Would anyone be able to suggest a commuter town for someone in their twenties working in Canary Wharf?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

I'm working in Canary Wharf at the moment, I know there's a lot of people commute in from Clapham. There's a lot of Irish grads and ppl in there mid 20s there. Takes about 30-40 mins to get from there to work.

Highbury & Islington area is really popular too. It's great for going out and for things to do. It's more expensive than anywhere else though and you'd be on the tubes for about 30-40 mins like if you lived in Clapham.

There's a lot of people (like me) that actually around Canary Wharf if you wanted to skip the commute altogether though. I wouldn't massively recommend it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

i'm living in Clapham and it's the place to be, although rent is on the up cos it's so popular

I'm sure there are cheaper places in East London that would be quicker to get into Canary Wharf than Clapham, but it's probably better lifestyle here, I love it

Only thing is the Northern Line in the mornings - hell!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Although very close to Canary Wharf does anyone know if Beckton or Woolwich are ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Although very close to Canary Wharf does anyone know if Beckton or Woolwich are ok?

Beckton and Woolwich are not really nice places. They are really far out and there is very little in the surrounding area .. especially Beckton. You would need to have a car imo to have a decent quality of life or else you will be hopping on buses all the time. Its probably pretty reasonable in term of rent though and its very commutable from Beckton to Canary Wharf as both are on the DLR line. Also because Beckton is the last stop you will always get a seat on the way into work!

To be honest you would be better off living in Stratford .. its not the nicest place in the world either but there is a lot of developement going on there for the Olympics. Its also quite central and an easy commute to Canary Wharf on the Jubilee line. Its quite vibrant and there are plenty of shops and places to eat. Its also very easy to get in and out to central london if you are having a night out. Getting home to Beckton or Woolwich after a night out would be a nightmare .. really long night bus journeys from Trafalgar Square! I think Straford is also quite reasonable when it come to rent.

You could also look at living somewhere in Surrey .. a proper commuter town of some sort. Get the overground train into london bridge or waterloo and hop on the jubilee to Canary Wharf.

Advertisement