Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating Android version

Options
  • 21-05-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi, need a bit of help on this one. I'm looking at buying a Sony Ericsson X10 mini pro on the Meteor network. The phone is running Android 1.6 Donut. At the very least youwould want version2.2, right? My question is this, Is it possible to update the Android versions, and if yes, thenis it handy or a pain to do so and how is it done? Thanks in advance for the help on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

2.1 is no problem, and you should get the update to that, but SE have said thats it as far as they are concerned for the x10 mini pro. Custom Rom might be your answer, but I am clueless about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

dooferoaks wrote: »
    2.1 is no problem, and you should get the update to that, but SE have said thats it as far as they are concerned for the x10 mini pro. Custom Rom might be your answer, but I am clueless about that.
    Thanks for reply, is the 2.1 version good enough? Will it keep me somewhat upto date on things? Thanks again

Thats all I have at the moment, I think 2.2 is a major improvement on 2.1 but I am just making do. I did root my phone, so I could have App to SD and tether but have never had the bottle to stick a custom rom on.

List of improvements that 2.2 has HERE and HERE . 2.2 has Flash too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

2.2 is a lot faster, and as above has Flash support. SE are terrible for supporting their Android phones, I'd look elsewhere TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

My phone (samsung) runs 2.2 but it still doesn't support flash due to processor limitations.

An upgrade to 2.2 isn't guaranteed to run Flash.

But if you were to buy, Custom ROMs would be the way to go I would think.

Custom ROMs are available for it anyway. CM7 and even a Honeycomb adaptation apparently work.
    XDA forum for Mini Pro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

get it and install cyanogenmod 7 (android 2.3) on it, not too much trouble (it'll probably take you a few hours max) and it'll have the phone in great shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

i have x10 mini, rooted with cm6 running android 2.2. everything works not a single hipcup.
    very fast rom and no blootware.
    to root the phone takes 2 minutes with superoneclick.
    after that install xrecorey very easy.
    install new rom.
    total maybe 20 minutes.

it wont run flash

I would love to give it a go, but huge fear I will kill my phone. Rooted my phone easily enough, but that was just a one click job, the rest all seems a lot more complicated!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I know someone who said they installed CM7 on their mini pro, and it was useless. Very incomplete. I think they only recently fixed the camera and flash on it, but apparently its still riddled with bugs, compated to CM7 on other devices. CM6 is stable, though its only v2.2.

Can you revert back to the SE stock rom if, for any reason, you dont like any custom roms out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

i use the cm6, very good and fast, the camera? you can use the stock camera if you dont like the one from the rom.
    if you dont like the rom, just connect to your pc companion and choose repair software, and thats it your back on original firmware.
    just install xrecovery do a backup of your rom first. but theres no fear you can always revert to original firmware

Aw God i'm lost!!!!! :confused::confused::confused:. Thanks for all the advice. I'll try looking it up on Youtube or just drop it into a phone repair shop, they might be able to do it for a few quid. Way over my head. Thanks again to all.

So, does anyone fancy doing this updating for me?, cos i haven't a clue. Alot of people seem to have this new Gingerbread 2.3 version installed. Anyone here that done? Is it any use or is it killing the phone? Thanks in advance.

Right i've gone as far as pushing the root button on superclickone but this is what i get

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.
    ************** Exception Text **************
    System.Management.ManagementException: Not found
    at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
    at System.Management.PropertyData.RefreshPropertyInfo()
    at System.Management.PropertyDataCollection.get_Item(String propertyName)
    at System.Management.ManagementBaseObject.GetPropertyValue(String propertyName)
    at System.Management.ManagementBaseObject.get_Item(String propertyName)
    at SuperOneClick.InfReader.is64BitWindows()
    at SuperOneClick.DriverInstaller.buildDriverList()
    at SuperOneClick.DriverInstaller.checkDrivers()
    at SuperOneClick.Form1.btnRoot_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll[/URL]
    SuperOneClick
    Assembly Version: 1.8.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.8.0.0
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Niall/My%20Documents/Downloads/Superoneclick/SuperOneClick.exe[/URL]
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll[/URL]
    System
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll[/URL]
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll[/URL]
    System.Management
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll[/URL]
    ************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.
    For example:
    <configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>
    When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Where the hell, or what are the steps to resolve this.Plese help.thanks

I eventually rooted my x10 mini pro with superoneclick, worked first time on mine. I am no expert at all but did you check USB debugging on your phone and NOT mount the SD card. Thats about as far as my pearls of wisdom go, sorry.

I dont think there are any particularly stable 2.3 roms for the mini pro. I did find rooting useful for getting rid of all the crap that 3 put on my phone and using Titanium backup, but time and again I went back to stock 2.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kierancos

Make sure you pick charge phone when you plug it into your PC and not press mount. Also on your phone go to... settings /applications/development/ and check USB debugging. Tell us if that works :)

Thanks for reply guys, yep, I had all that done, i set up usb debugging before i connected my phone and then selected charge mode. but as soon as i press root i get that message i posted previoulsy. I've done some searching on this but cannot find a solution. Pain in the neck! Feckin SE. Just to clarify on the sd card part. If i was to go to that option it says unmount sd card on my phone. I don't touch that right? I haven't so far.

Success, i've rooted and installed Titanium backup! About bloody time. The probem was i was using version 1.8 of superclick, so i downloaded 2.0 and it wotked. Now my question is how do you update the phones firmware?. Mine is still on 2.1. Thanks

tiny timy wrote: »
    Success, i've rooted and installed Titanium backup! About bloody time. The probem was i was using version 1.8 of superclick, so i downloaded 2.0 and it wotked. Now my question is how do you update the phones firmware?. Mine is still on 2.1. Thanks

To get 2.2 or 2.3 you would have to use a custom ROM, one made by a bedroom developer. You wont get an official one for the mini pro because Sony Ericsson aren't releasing one. XDA would be your best bet.

XDA Mini Pro Forum

I used D4rKn3sSyS 's ROMs, he seems to be most active, and if you donate even a cup of coffees worth he is (or was when I had an x10 mini pro) happy to help by PM. He is fairly happy to help anyway to be fair. Read the FAQ near the top of the forum, and post any queries there. You will need to install a recovery apk before you can install a new ROM, providing you follow all the instructions you can always revert back to stock if you have any problems.

All D4rKn3sSyS work here.

Hi dooferoaks,

Success, i've just done it. Works great, will take a better look through the bits and bobs later, but for now it's nice to have it upgraded. Thanks again for all your help, and to everyone else who commented also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement