Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures of Obama

Options
  • 21-05-2011 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

HI All,

Sorry if this is not the correct place to ask this question (Mod's please move if needed).

I was wondering if anyone is planning to head to the airport to take some pics of obama's plane when it arrives to Dublin Airport? I would love to head on up but I'm unsure if its even possible to get near the airport for pics in the usual spots??

Any help would be most appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

No idea, but there's lots of discussion here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=905

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

best place to get a pic of himself would be the open air speech on college green.

(will be picking up my accreditation tomorrow - just like the Queen the accreditated press will only be permitted in certain areas - and spaces are limited)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

By the looks of it, any viewing areas at Dublin airport are being restricted so you may as well forget about that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Hi

Im new to this section and am really getting into the pics iv seen.
    This might help anyone looking for photos of airforce one.

Travelling from the M50 noth bound take the exit for ballymun, nct test centre go past the nct on your left turn right (signed posted for signwise frank day motors) travell about 100 yards on that lane on your left you will see an old barn now at the back of that less then 1000 meters is the run way of Dublin airport there will be no one else there and its great for planes landing taken off.
    Hope that helps some get great snaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 p_brennan_

Thanks for all the responses guys!!

I was heading up to the brothers house this morning (he lives out in Swords) and there was no chance of me getting anywhere near the airport viewing spots :(

Its funny I have no real want to get a few pics of Obama it was more to get some snaps of his black hawk etc

Thanks again all!!

• Advertisement

p_brennan_ wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses guys!!

I was heading up to the brothers house this morning (he lives out in Swords) and there was no chance of me getting anywhere near the airport viewing spots :(

Its funny I have no real want to get a few pics of Obama it was more to get some snaps of his black hawk etc

Thanks again all!!

Have you considered contacting the Airport Police or such directly then?

I can understand they'd be nervous about people around Barrack, but they may accompany you to let you get a few shots of the plane?

I mean, even if you turn out to be some mad suicide bomber, if you're at the plane, and Barrack is in the City Centre... You can't really harm him anyway. (besides you'd most likely have to go through the airport security, so you'd have to be safe enough).

That said, i don't know if presidential hysteria is also related to their modes of transport, so... maybe I'm way off. Seems harmless to me though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Have you considered contacting the Airport Police or such directly then?

I can understand they'd be nervous about people around Barrack, but they may accompany you to let you get a few shots of the plane?

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell that the airport police would let you out there.

There is an accreditation process for press photographers, who even then, only have very limited access and chances to take photos of Obama.

The best bet for a photo would be in College Green. You haven't a chance to get a photo anywhere near the airport.

Paulw wrote: »
    There isn't a snowballs chance in hell that the airport police would let you out there.

There is an accreditation process for press photographers, who even then, only have very limited access and chances to take photos of Obama.

The best bet for a photo would be in College Green. You haven't a chance to get a photo anywhere near the airport.

He doesn't want Obama.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

He doesn't want Obama.

You won't even get near the plane. All around the airport, currently, normal viewing points are closed off. The normal places where people park up to watch/photograph the airport are all closed. You can't stop.

The area is crawling with Gardai and army.

have been allocated arrival so I can do some pics of the plane/helicopters for you if you want.

Will also be on college green tomorrow - straight on facing Obama (theres only 2 positions - straight on and from the side ...from the side gets a background of people - straight on gets building background)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Anyone know what time he is due in at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

wonder if the north entrance to the park would be good for the motorcade ?

fox007 wrote: »
    Anyone know what time he is due in at?

media have to assemble at 6.15am .... I not definite but I think he's due to touch down at the airport around 10ish ... so that means I'll have about 2hours of standing around (hopefully on the tarmac) at Dublin Airport.

will be "testing" (messing) with a wireless file transmitter just as a test - bought it last year but never used it or tried to set it up....so it's gonna be an experience.

fingers crossed it'll give a bit of an edge in terms of processing images - I can file directly to office and they can caption and send out while I'm still shooting.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    media have to assemble at 6.15am .... I not definite but I think he's due to touch down at the airport around 10ish ... so that means I'll have about 2hours of standing around (hopefully on the tarmac) at Dublin Airport.

will be "testing" (messing) with a wireless file transmitter just as a test - bought it last year but never used it or tried to set it up....so it's gonna be an experience.

fingers crossed it'll give a bit of an edge in terms of processing images - I can file directly to office and they can caption and send out while I'm still shooting.

You're one lucky little....

Shouldn't you be sleeping or something though? :P

I should be asleep but had to figure out how to work the wireless file transmitter thingy (so it wont be a waste of a long journey)..... just had a long day.... and couldn't sleep....and with an hour to go before I need to start getting ready - no point in sleeping tonight.

long day photographing the state funeral then a drive to Cork and back to get the Camera for the wireless file transmitter (7D).... maybe I had 1 coffee too many on the road to Cork... will sleep on the bus to the airport.

Try not to fall asleep at the airport and miss the whole thing now :P

will try - but I'm not making any promises !!

ah shure ... 24-36hours of no sleep is not that bad ...is it ?

I've done it before and will probably do it again - saw the line up for the "gig" on College Green - according to the Metro:

Brendan Gleeson, Brian O'Driscoll, Celine Byrne, Colm Cooper, The Coronas, Daniel Day Lewis, Gabriel Byrne, Henry Sheflin, Imelda May, Jedward, Katie Taylor, Micheal O'Muircheartaigh, The National Chamber Choir, Padraig Harrington, Robbie Keane, Ray Sheridan, Saoirse Ronan, The Sawdoctors, Sharon Shannon, Stephen Rea and of course you couldn't have a gig in Ireland without inviting "Westlife".

Heard rumours of U2 but I severely doubt it - they already dispelled the idea saying it was too close to a US date they have so they're out ! .... looks like a fantastic line-up ...ha ha ... surprised no Mary Byrne.

Nah, not that bad, done it myself quite a few times... still alive and functioning, mostly...

Padraig Harrington is singing!? Haha...

I feel sorry you have to endure jedtard :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Cameras are fine but bags/backpacks are outlawed. Hmmm, in this weather twould be handy havin a bag to stop the old gear getting drenched. Ugh.

If anyone is interested I have uploaded some images to WWW.pcphoto.ie ....download what you want

• Advertisement

Some serious helicopters there. Cant wait to see the rest!

GL, HF PCPhoto! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

If anyone is interested I have uploaded some images to WWW.pcphoto.ie ....download what you want

i see nothing :(

i see nothing :(

You have to do a LOT of clicking to navigate it... tut tut PCPhoto

Here

Im wirelessly transmitting from the camera - so you can blame the filing on that :D

oh and website was set up last night (instead of sleeping)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

RCNPhotos wrote:
    Cameras are fine but bags/backpacks are outlawed. Hmmm, in this weather twould be handy havin a bag to stop the old gear getting drenched. Ugh.

I'm really annoyed about this TBH... Anyone know is it all types of bags or would the hip-type dslr bags be ok, the toploaders? They're more like bigger versions of cases people have for their compacts...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

You have to do a LOT of clicking to navigate it... tut tut PCPhoto

Here

I like the section where it says
    Download (824 kb) or download smaller size
    (on a 300-400px image) :D:D:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Pics look great PC, hope you are having fun and not falling asleep on your feet;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

nice photos. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Some great shots you got there Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭patrickrushe

Hi,

I was on duty as a volunteer with St. John Ambulance. I took a few shots on College Green. Click here to see them. Photos are down the end.

I WISH I HAD MY NIKON WITH ME, but in fairness, it would have been too bulky to have on duty. So, I used my Panasonic DMC-FX150. Decent little piece of kit actually and got ok shots considering I was so far back.

Really enjoyed the day. The Gardai and Secret Service were actually really accomadating to me and my crew.

Regards,
    Pat

Advertisement