Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to change my currency froms euro to pounds

Options
  • 21-05-2011 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Will I need to change my currency from euros to pounds if im going to london next week?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes. You can get sterling in advance, or you can just use your debit card in an ATM in London and withdraw sterling cash that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Similiar question. I got a job in London a month ago and have been living on my Irish AIB credit card.

Now I've gotten paid in GBP into a new Lloyds TSB account.

Whats the cheapest way to pay the Irish Credit Card, i.e. get the GBP into EUR?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

spurious wrote: »
    Yes. You can get sterling in advance, or you can just use your debit card in an ATM in London and withdraw sterling cash that way.

You can do this, but the things to bear in mind are:
    1) the exchange rate you'll get for getting sterling in advance (or any currency really) will normally be a bit better than what you get for using your card abroad, and
    2) you'll get charged a per-transaction fee for withdrawing foreign currency abroad. There's usually a minimum fee, and some banks make it a % of the total amount just to add to the pain :(
    PH4T wrote: »
    Similiar question. I got a job in London a month ago and have been living on my Irish AIB credit card.

As far as I know your only option is to put through a bank transfer . When I've had to do this sort of thing I've done a single transfer (there are usually per-transaction fees so the fewer transfers you have to make, the better) to my Irish bank account using its IBAN number, and then used online/phone banking to transfer the money from the account to the credit card. You may be able to make a transfer straight to the credit card, but you'd need to check this with AIB and get the IBAN number for the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

PH4T wrote: »

I think Lloyds are introducing a new system in a few months for the online banking that will mean you can international payments to eurozone countries for £2.50 a go instead of the phone banking + £20 cost that it is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

n900guy wrote: »
    I think Lloyds are introducing a new system in a few months for the online banking that will mean you can international payments to eurozone countries for £2.50 a go instead of the phone banking + £20 cost that it is at the moment.

Hi n900guy, do you have a link to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

n900guy wrote: »

TWENTY QUID? I pay £10 to transfer money to Ireland (or any EU country) via IBAN in euro. It's only £20 if you do a same-day transfer. The £10 transfer usually takes 2 working days to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

eth0_ wrote: »
    TWENTY QUID? I pay £10 to transfer money to Ireland (or any EU country) via IBAN in euro. It's only £20 if you do a same-day transfer. The £10 transfer usually takes 2 working days to go through.
    Nah, Lloyds charges £20 for every transfer you make to an Irish bank account (plus it takes three working days, which is ridiculous). I transfer money back every month to pay off some of my Irish credit card bill and that charge annoys me every single time. Bleurgh.

Seems they are bringing in a facility to do it online though, like n900guy said. That day can't come soon enough. £20 is a joke. As crap as they are for other things, Bank of Ireland don't charge anything for me to transfer money from my Irish account to my English one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Stargal wrote: »
    Nah, Lloyds charges £20 for every transfer you make to an Irish bank account (plus it takes three working days, which is ridiculous).

Gosh. I'm with Halifax and it's £10 to transfer to an AIB account back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

eth0_ wrote: »
    Gosh. I'm with Halifax and it's £10 to transfer to an AIB account back home.
    Jealous! £10 is still ridiculous but £20 is insane. I try to get around it by lodging money when I'm in back in Dublin, but I'm usually there at weekends which isn't exactly conducive to finding an open bank.

Advertisement