Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coopers Carbonation drops

Options
  • 21-05-2011 7:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi, Anybody ever use these?
    I got them in the starter kit that I got so I might aswell use them instead of priming, the only thing is on the packet it says use 1 for 330ml bottles and two for 750ml bottles, thing is I have 500ml bottles. Will two do the 500 or will they explode?:D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I used 1 per 500ml for my Irish Stout and it was grand.

I've seen suggestions on other sites that you can cut them in half and use 1.5 for each 500ml bottle but some people say cutting them is a nightmare.

What I don't understand is why they give you a pack of them with the box of 500ml bottles. :confused:

You could probably put some of them into a food bag and break them up into little pieces to use as "halves" as well.

In saying all that, I would do some bottles with only 1 and then compare and contrast as it can still produce a great beer with less carbonation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

I got the same kit as you and used 1.5 drops per 500 ml bottle and twas grand.I would probably use 2 per 500 ml bottle if i was doin it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    I would probably use 2 per 500 ml bottle if i was doin it again

Thats what I was thinking but I was just worried about the blowing up tbh. I might do what the previous poster said and do half 1 and the other half 2 and see what is the best results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Just more fizz with 2. the bottles are plastic so there'll be no shrapnel !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I've done two brews now, both with the drops in 500ml and both times i used 2 per 500ml.

Had no problems, except I was short of some drops for the last bottle or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭foghlu

I have always found it easier to batch prime my beer before bottling.

That is syphon it all into a bottling bucket (spare fermenter) with about 150g of sugar dissolved into water and then just bottle from there. You end up having a slightly clearer beer that way too. And its cheaper than buying

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

I had the same problem recently so I just boiled up the packet of drops in water and bulk primed with them- I had 330ml and 500ml bottles so I figured that was the simplest solution...

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

I used one drop pre 500ml and was left with flat ginger beer. Since then I have used two drops with much better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

As with the others I would use more than 1 drop in a 500ml bottle otherwise you'll get flat beer. You can split the drops in half very easily. Just get a sharp knife and put it on top of the drop then a gentle tap of a hammer on the top of the knife and presto the drop gets cut in half by the blade.

Bottled my Coopers European Lager today and said feck it and used two in each. I’ve put them in a cardboard box in the spare room so if they go off there should be no casualties.

Have to say other than the fact it was a bit flat it tasted lovely, most of the bottles where clear and it actually tasted like lager which surprised me because a lot of advice said it wouldn’t due to using the wrong yeast, but according to the instructions “The yeast supplied with Coopers European Lager is a true lager strain” so there you go, id definitely get it again.

I also started another batch of Coopers Canadian blonde, going to try cider next I think, then ale or stout, then get into the more complicated brewing, have to say love home brewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Mulk

http://www.byo.com/resources/carbonation

Found this an interesting read about the various levels of beer styles and how to work it out.
    I've the Coopers Pilsner ready to bottle, I'd love to lash three carb. drops into a 750ml bottle, but as they're glass I may err on the side of caution

Had a taste of the brew there the other day, carbonation was perfect but had a bit of a cider taste to it, it didn’t have that before the drops were put in, do you reckon it will go away?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

A cider taste from the coopers kit is odd. I did the lager kit when i started and didn't have that. From what i've heard the longer you leave it the more the flavours mellow out. Bottom line is, it's made now anyway let it age or drink it it's up to you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've definitely had a cider taste from lager kits, most apparent on the one occasion when I used a kilo of table sugar as the supplementary fermentable, though also on one I did with spraymalt. I doubt the carbonation drops are causing it: they're just too small.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I've definitely had a cider taste from lager kits, most apparent on the one occasion when I used a kilo of table sugar as the supplementary fermentable, though also on one I did with spraymalt. I doubt the carbonation drops are causing it: they're just too small.

I used brewing sugar with that kit, i now use spraymalt. Do you think it was the brewing sugar?

That sounds the most likely explanation to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Jen32

I just made a batch of Australian Pale Ale which i'm giving away. The person i'm giving it to only has large 2Litre bottles. Would it be possible to fill them and throw in 3 or 4 carbonation drops in each one or would that be a bad idea ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

2L soft drink bottles or whatever are fine as long the drink they're designed for was carbonated. 5L water bottle are not okay, though!

BeerNut wrote: »
    That sounds the most likely explanation to me.

In your experience does the taste go away over time?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately not. I've come to accept it as part of the kit lager experience, which is why I tend not to make kit lagers.

Chilling it right down before drinking is the best advice I can give.

Advertisement