Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smart upgrade

Options
  • 20-05-2011 9:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭

I'm going to complain about the 'free' upgrade which changes the terms and conditions and assumes that you agree to the new download limit.

It's not free as I was promised free line rental for life and unlimited downloads - now they want me to pay line rental and limit my download.

So I'm looking to see if any one has the terms and conditions as the signed upto on the free line rental for life with unlimited downloads.

I've spoke to Comreg, and they asked if I had any copies of the terms and conditions as agreed by me. But when I did it it was all via phone.

The saved pages from the web that I had were lost when my computer hard disk died.

Any want to be involved in this - pm me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If I remember correctly, the "free line rental for life" promotion was that your line rental was free, but you paid €35 for the broadband.

They then rejigged it so that you paid €25 for your line rental, but only €10 for your broadband. Broadband was €25 "cheaper" but it worked out the same net price per month.

All their new packages now refer to the line rental and broadband separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Broadband forum.

dudara

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

Kensington wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, the "free line rental for life" promotion was that your line rental was free, but you paid €35 for the broadband.

They then rejigged it so that you paid €25 for your line rental, but only €10 for your broadband. Broadband was €25 "cheaper" but it worked out the same net price per month.

All their new packages now refer to the line rental and broadband separately.

Yeah, but i never switched to the new package (hence i was on the old speed of 5 - i spoke to them about this and they told me i would have to change package).

So swapping me to a new package should still mean no line rental, as the condition of free line rental was not package dependant, but 'for life'.

I'll see how far I get with this, but i'm sick of companies lying again and again...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you asked Smart for a copy of the original Terms and Conditions offered to customers. They surely have a generic copy?

And of course Smart did change everyone's Terms and Conditions unilaterally when they introduced the download limit. I am still waiting to be informed of this!!!. (Naturally!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

dub45 wrote: »
    Have you asked Smart for a copy of the original Terms and Conditions offered to customers. They surely have a generic copy?

And of course Smart did change everyone's Terms and Conditions unilaterally when they introduced the download limit. I am still waiting to be informed of this!!!. (Naturally!)

they sent me out the new one, with a different speed on it. I rang and asked for the one i was on (4 instead of the new 5mb one) got told it was the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

davoxx wrote: »
    they sent me out the new one, with a different speed on it. I rang and asked for the one i was on (4 instead of the new 5mb one) got told it was the same.

If you havent changed anything since you joined Smart then you are still on your original contract point that out to them. Staff in ips can be notoriously cavalier about Terms and Condtions and need to be reminded that they cannot just arbitrarily be changed at the ips's whim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

davoxx wrote: »
    YSo swapping me to a new package should still mean no line rental, as the condition of free line rental was not package dependant, but 'for life'.

No, it was dependant on you remaining on the same package. If you've changed, then you changed T&Cs as well. Free line rental was a gimmick, and only applied as long as you didn't upgrade or change package, ever.

Line rental was never free, it was just bundled into the price. Now they separate them so that you can see what's what. If you haven't agreed to change package, then you should still be paying what you always paid. If you have, then your old T&Cs no longer matter, as you've agreed to be bound by the new ones.

Smart always had an FUP in place, but never had a set limit on it. They then changed to a straight 170GB cap, which to me is a change to the T&Cs, and all customers should have been informed and given the choice to opt out of the service. They can change the T&Cs if they want to, but when they do they must give you the opportunity to cancel without penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

They're calling customers at the moment offering them a "free upgrade" to a new package. What they don't tell you is your allowance will be cut from 170gb per month to 100gb. I almost fell for it but checked at the last minute.

Advertisement