Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of film are these?

Options
  • 20-05-2011 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Im having trouble finding films I like.. I cant put them in a certain genre or a word to describe them..

Films with characters that have certain outlooks on life that make you really think of things.. characters that say things and your like wow.

examples, american history x's derek vinyard, Im furthest from a racist as anyone but the things he says are so inspirational and really touch you and make you think about life.

The joker in the dark knight.. The way he talks about civilised people and how he views the world..

I want a film like that! Can someone help me!:D:D:D:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I don't think there is any genre as such - any movie has the potential of having a great monologue.

For me the best ones are:

Machine Men monologue from Charlie Chaplain's The Great Dictator

Red Dress from Requiem for a Dream

(from a comment on YouTube about a post made on IMDB-
    During Ellen Burstyn's impassioned monologue about how it feels to be old, cinematographer Matthew Libatique accidentally let the camera drift off-target. When director Darren Aronofsky called "cut" and confronted him about it, he realized the reason Libatique had let the camera drift was because he had been crying during the take and fogged up the camera's eyepiece. This was the take used in the final print.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've seen the word "existentialist" thrown around to describe these sorts of films. It doesn't necessarily require big speeches or grandstanding to make a point; insight can come from little things too. I'm thinking of the scene in The Shawshank Redemption in which Andy Dufresne locks himself in the warden's office and plays the aria over the PA. It really did not need Morgan Freeman's commentary, if you ask me.

There's a scene in Lost In Translation that "spoke" to me in the way the OP describes: not the famous ending, but a simple gesture: Scarlett rests her injured foot against Bill, as if he has some kind of healing touch, though there was never a suggestion that he does ... some people here don't "get" that film at all. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Im having trouble finding films I like.. I cant put them in a certain genre or a word to describe them..

Films with characters that have certain outlooks on life that make you really think of things.. characters that say things and your like wow.

examples, american history x's derek vinyard, Im furthest from a racist as anyone but the things he says are so inspirational and really touch you and make you think about life.

The joker in the dark knight.. The way he talks about civilised people and how he views the world..

Watch Fight Club and American Psycho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

V's speech in V for Vendetta is class:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oh and Children of Men.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

bnt wrote: »
    I've seen the word "existentialist" thrown around to describe these sorts of films. It doesn't necessarily require big speeches or grandstanding to make a point; insight can come from little things too. I'm thinking of the scene in The Shawshank Redemption in which Andy Dufresne locks himself in the warden's office and plays the aria over the PA. It really did not need Morgan Freeman's commentary, if you ask me.

There's a scene in Lost In Translation that "spoke" to me in the way the OP describes: not the famous ending, but a simple gesture: Scarlett rests her injured foot against Bill, as if he has some kind of healing touch, though there was never a suggestion that he does ... some people here don't "get" that film at all. :cool:

Sofia Coppola is one of the most underrated directors around. She uses silence as well as others use dialogue and images, but people expect films to be noisy.

Also, you might be interested to know that that scene only went into the screenplay for The Shawshank Redemption because the writer happened to be listening to Mozart on the day he wrote it.

OP, I have a question for you: Does it matter what genre the films are? It looks like what you're looking for are good characters, which can be found in any genre. I think the next film you watch should be 12 Angry Men, which you'll find does exactly what you're looking for, twelve times over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

American Beauty perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

If I were you I've be checking out the filmography of Paul Giamatti. He is always so mundane and normal and under rated. He wont be spouting political anarchy at you but some of the stuff he comes out with is gold and will certainly make you think about life.

• Advertisement

Skinfull wrote: »
    If I were you I've be checking out the filmography of Paul Giamatti. He is always so mundane and normal and under rated. He wont be spouting political anarchy at you but some of the stuff he comes out with is gold and will certainly make you think about life.

True that, American Splendour springs to mind!

Advertisement