Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A beginner's questions about how Irish tax is spent.

Options
  • 20-05-2011 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Irish workers pay two taxes (PAYE and PRSI). Can anyone explain to me in simple terms what percentage of tax is spent on what?

e.g. How much is spent on what types of infrastructure?
    e.g. What percentage of the collected tax goes to social welfare?

Additionally, how does VAT come into play?

If anyone knows of any useful websites, studies or articles, I'd appreciate them. It's probably asking for a lot but a few yearly percentile pie charts would be ideal if anyone knows where I might find them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,228 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Check out the department of finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,228 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Oh an tax (exchequer tax i.e. not including bin charges and other charges made to local Gov etc) comprises alot more than just PAYE.

PRSI is actually not included in exchequer revenue as it paid into the social insurance fund which is used to offset spending in the various departments (social waelfare and health mostly I would say) and only then, after using up these other sources of funds, would the various departmental requirements from the exchequer be known.

Exchequer funding comprises, VAT, PAYE (including the USC), corporation tax, excise, customs and a few smaller things.

This might help:

http://economic-incentives.blogspot.com/2010/12/exchequer-account-in-not-public.html

You can't say where the PAYE money is spent though - its all a central fund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Its all pissed against a wall.

P.S the wall is now owned by NAMA.

Advertisement