Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to pull perfect pints?

Options
  • 20-05-2011 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Basically ive started working as a barman for the last 3 weeks with no previous experience. I have had people refuse me not to let them serve them, basically implying my pints are crap. Has anyone any tips for me? All much appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

get a coworker, who doesnt pour crap pints to show you, much easier then trying to explain on an internet forum, and pf course practise, there is no exact science..

seriously coworker who doesnt mind giving you 10 minutes of time
    tried this?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shakermaker321

Guy showed me alright, and showed me again twice after. Its the Guinness im having awful trouble with

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

you hold glass at an angle under the tap
    let it stit til its black top it off just push the tap forward n fill up or if its lookin flat pull it all the way down towards ya its not a rocket science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Guy showed me alright, and showed me again twice after. Its the Guinness im having awful trouble with

What's going wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Its a bit longwinded but tis all you need to know.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d15lJn1r0Mk

Also, it could be the pub has crap guinness...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rocco.

where you working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

old school drinkers?
    hoenstly there is probably nothing wrong with your pints, i agree you gotta be gently with guinness so it doesnt end up like an aerobar, but there is probably nothing your doing wrong, next time they give you lip inform them the 2 part pour is nothing but a gimmik

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Guinness eh'

What a surprise. Everybody has an opinion and people sitting on bars stolls tend to have more opinions on ALL matters than most.

If you had 10 years experience working in other bars and then simply moved to this bar they would have similar issues although its quite likely you look like you don't know the way around a bar YET.

Yep, get a colleague to help you out. Practice makes perfect.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

To pour a "perfect" Guinness.

Grab a clean DRY glass.

Hold the glass against the nozzle at a 45 degree angle (roughly).(holding against the nozzle prevents bubbles)

Pull the tap back in a quick fluid motion.

Fill up to about the level of the harp if it's a branded glass (some punters may expect you to fill more or less)

Wait til it's black.

Top up by pushing forward until the head rises slightly above the rim(but not too much or it will spill!). (get your own head down to the same level as the glass so you can see clearly).

Serve.

The thing here though, as mentioned by Berty, is that Guinness drinkers exist in a world where it will only taste good if you pour it to precise measurements that they often cook up in their head, or take from the Guinness marketing team. The bottom line however is that as long as you ensure that you get the pint to rise above the rim it'll look grand and taste the same. If they however can't see you pouring then you can pour it whatever way you want and it will taste the same and they'll not know any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement