Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The tantalising proof that belief in God makes you happier and healthier...

Options
  • 20-05-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭

"Sneer at faith all you like. Just don’t assume science is on your side." Daily Mail Feb 18th 2011

God has had a tough time over the past few years. On TV, in newspapers and on the internet, the debate as to whether faith has any relevance in a sceptical modern world has been as ubiquitous as it has been vigorous.

And it has been pretty clear which side is the most splenetic.
    From Richard Dawkins’ powerful atheist polemics to Christopher Hitchens’ public derision of the Roman Catholic Tony Blair and Stephen Hawking’s proclamation that the universe ‘has no need for God’, it seems that unbelievers have had the dwindling faithful on the run.

Or have they?

article-1358421-0D424D0B000005DC-566_468x363.jpg

As research for my latest novel, Bible Of The Dead, I have spent months investigating the science of faith versus atheism, and discovered startling and unexpected evidence. It might just change the way you think about the whole debate, as it has changed my view.

I am not a religious zealot. On the contrary, I was a teenage atheist. And although in adulthood I have had a vague and fuzzy feeling that ‘there must be something out there’, I was never a regular church-goer. But what I have discovered, on my voyage through the science of faith, has astonished me.
    My journey began a couple of years ago when I was travelling in Utah, the home of Mormonism. During my first week there, I approached this eccentric American religion with a typically European cynicism. I teased Mormons about their taste in ‘spiritual undergarments’; I despaired at being unable to find a decent cappuccino (Mormons are forbidden coffee, as well as alcohol, smoking, tea and premarital sex).

But then I had something of an epiphany. One night, after a long dinner, I was walking back to my hotel in downtown Salt Lake City at 2am and I suddenly realised: I felt safe. As any transatlantic traveller knows, this is a pretty unusual experience in an American city after midnight.
    Why did I feel safe? Because I was in a largely Mormon city, and Mormons are never going to mug you. They might bore or annoy you when they come knocking on your door, touting their faith, but they are not going to attack you.

The Mormons’ wholesome religiousness, their endless and charitable kindliness, made their city a better place. And that made me think: Why was I so supercilious about such happy, hospitable people? What gave me the right to sneer at their religion?

Read more here

"n the purest of Darwinian terms, God isn’t just good for you, He’s good for your genes, too.
    All of which means that, contrary to expectation, it is the atheists who are eccentric, flawed and maladaptive, and it’s the devout who are healthy, well-adjusted and normal. Certainly, in purely evolutionary terms, atheism is a blind alley. Across the world, religious people have more children than non-religious (go forth and multiply!), while atheist societies are the ones with the lowest birth rates."

:pac:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Doesn't make it true though.
    In 1990, the American Journal of Psychiatry discovered believers with broken hips were less depressed, had shorter hospital stays and could even walk further when they were discharged compared to their similarly broken-hipped and hospitalised, but comparatively heathen peers.

It’s not just hips. Scientists have revealed that believers recover from breast cancer quicker than non-believers; have better outcomes from coronary disease and rheumatoid arthritis; and are less likely to have children with meningitis.

Intriguing research in 2002 showed that believers have more success with IVF than non-believers.

A 1999 study found that going to a religious service or saying a few prayers actively strengthened your immune system.

These medical benefits accrue even if you adjust for the fact that believers are less likely to smoke, drink or take drugs.

Are people supposed to take this seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

So what? We have better sex!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Doesn't make it true though.

Well no it doesn't but there are other reasons to believe that it is.
    Are people supposed to take this seriously?

Well the research is sound, so, yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well the research is sound, so, yes.

The ''research'' has come to the conclusion that saying a few prayers will strengthen your immune system and help you recover from cancer, and you think the research is sound?

Why has this not become an international news story? This is a miracle surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The crime rate in Salt Lake City isn't particularly low by USA standards, which is always higher than most places in Europe anyway. Like most American cities the crime rate is higher than the national average.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ut/salt-lake-city/crime/

Like most places crime rate is effected by economic issues more than any other factor. Utah has suffered during the down turn and crime has risen.

I think this article shows more the naivety of theists believing religion makes people better and safer than anything else. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

So what? We have better sex!

What a stupid article. People who feel guilty about having sex have less enjoyabe sex lives then those who don't feel guilty about having sex. Wow!

As an aside, I would hope intense feelings of regret after climaxing would be the norm in the case of those pursuing affairs.

Whatever the truth of the research in question, it most certainly isn't determined by the interest of the media and other outlets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Kids who believe in Santa are happier around Christmas than kids who dont.

So should we as adults, all continue to believe in Santa just so we'll be happier around Christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

The ''research'' has come to the conclusion that saying a few prayers will strengthen your immune system and help you recover from cancer, and you think the research is sound?

Blind cynicism is just as stupid as blind faith. The research is hardly controversial and can be explained by the placebo effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

What a stupid article.

You did notice the Daily Mail escutcheon did you not?
    People who feel guilty about having sex have less enjoyabe sex lives then those who don't feel guilty about having sex. Wow!

Well, it didn't specify if the participants were married or not... or to each other, So, moot point.

As an aside, I would hope intense feelings of regret after climaxing would be the norm in the case of those pursuing affairs.

Again the article was less than clear and "affairs" as a term only mentioned once, and not exactly in the context of the actual results.
    Point in fact the purpose of an affair is intense feelings before and at climax and bugger the consequences: or in other words, how one feels afterwards is immaterial.

Whatever the truth of the research in question, it most certainly isn't determined by the interest of the media and other outlets

As previously mentioned, look to the escutcheon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

What a stupid article. People who feel guilty about having sex have less enjoyabe sex lives then those who don't feel guilty about having sex. Wow!

Did you miss the part where it showed that the more religious someone is the more likely they are to have these guilty feelings? You couldn't have missed it, really...that's what the whole article is about. What just happened in your head when you made that post?

It's like if a report came out showing that a common product damaged people's immune systems which caused them to get sick...and you came back sarcastically pointing out that "Oh hey, people with damaged immune systems get sick, big deal guys!"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

Zillah wrote: »
    Did you miss the part where it showed that the more religious someone is the more likely they are to have these guilty feelings? You couldn't have missed it, really...that's what the whole article is about. What just happened in your head when you made that post?

It's like if a report came out showing that a common product damaged people's immune systems which caused them to get sick...and you came back sarcastically pointing out that "Oh hey, people with damaged immune systems get sick, big deal guys!"

The article is journalistic rubbish. buy this book

Advertisement