Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth my while?

Options
  • 20-05-2011 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I had an interview in March for a temporary job for 6 months. I got the job and was told they'd hope to have me started by the start of April if not sooner.

It's now nearly June and I'm still getting forms to be filled out. I wouldn't mind if it was permanent but the 6 months is now down to 4 and I still have more forms to fill out.

I also have a child due in 4 weeks so am going to need to be around for that. Are there any obligations for males for time off for the birth of a baby?

Do you think it's worth my while to take this job now? I'm very annoyed as I've wasted 2 months of job searching thinking I was about to start a job. Have been told I'd have a starting date "next week" loads of times.

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres no paternity leave in Ireland by law. If a company gives you leave its simply a perk.

Personally I regard job applications as fire and forget. Right up to the day I start. Theres too many timewasters around to think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

BostonB wrote: »
    Theres no paternity leave in Ireland by law. If a company gives you leave its simply a perk.

Personally I regard job applications as fire and forget. Right up to the day I start. Theres too many timewasters around to think otherwise.

What do you mean as fire and forget? After being unemployed I was so happy to finally get a job but at the same time I'm wondering is it worth it when it's taken this long to get started and find it very hard to get them to contact or talk to me.

Advertisement