Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New work contract, I dont want to sign it.

Options
  • 20-05-2011 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

New contracts are coming out in my current job. My other contractual hours are 8:00 - 16:15.

These have been changed to 7:30 - 17:00, I dont get paid overtime either.

I dont want to sign the new contract, but if I dont can they fire me?

I am in my job nearly 4 years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I assume you will be paid for the extra hours? If not, tell them to stick it.

You might end up working the longer hours regardless but at least you didn't give it any legitimacy. If you sign your rights away you won't have a leg to stand on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

This is an interesting situation and people have varying opinions on what's right and wrong...

My understanding is that if the changes are reasonable (if you will be paid for the extra time it does seem reasonable) then yes you will either sign or it could be taken as a resignation..

If you are being asked to sign up for work hours for no pay I wouldn't sign, you could well be terminated but would have a case to take afterwords... Not an enjoyable outcome really... Depends on how badly you need the job and they are probably betting that most will sign just to keep their jobs..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

constructive dismissal maybe. Unless you are being paid for the extra time, then I wouldnt sign it. Downside is that you dont sign and your job is gone, but there has to be give and take from them.

they cant expect more from you without something in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Working time act stipulates a maximum working week of 48 hours per week. This contract looks very close to that figure, even if they include time off for breaks etc.

Best bet is to agree on condition that it is paid for at least at the same rate you get, or overtime rate if you get that. Make it clear that if they expect you to work additional hours you expect something back in return.

Many years ago I worked in a company that increased our hours by 1 hours per week, but they gave us 6 days extra holidays in lieu, which was well appreciated compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 reddan

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    I assume you will be paid for the extra hours? If not, tell them to stick it.

You might end up working the longer hours regardless but at least you didn't give it any legitimacy. If you sign your rights away you won't have a leg to stand on.
    Sorry I zoned in this quote because you seemed to know what your taking about, and I didn't want to start a new thread as this one is very close to my issue.
    I’m working for a company that was recently taken over. I'm on a different contract to most of the lads who are currently working here.

I'm on the same contract the last 6 years and the stated pay on the contract is less than what I am on now.

My contract states that I am to paid an extra two hours compared to what the other guys on are on. However since I've moved job site for some reason my employer has been paying for the time allotted on the new contract that I didn't sign, that is two hours less to what I usually get.

I spoke to my boss about it and he assures me it wouldn't be a problem but he just needed to verify it with my original contract.

My dilemma is that I'm worried they might try and rake back my pay, which has improved noticeably over the last 6 years, to the original and only pay rate stated on the contract.

Can they legally do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've been trying in vain to get in contact with my union representative for the last few days but to no avail.

Again I know it's only forum and nothing is written in gold but I really don't want to end screw myself over something like this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

shoegirl wrote: »
    Working time act stipulates a maximum working week of 48 hours per week. This contract looks very close to that figure, even if they include time off for breaks etc.

Best bet is to agree on condition that it is paid for at least at the same rate you get, or overtime rate if you get that. Make it clear that if they expect you to work additional hours you expect something back in return.

Many years ago I worked in a company that increased our hours by 1 hours per week, but they gave us 6 days extra holidays in lieu, which was well appreciated compensation.

Taking a one hour lunch break out of the 7:30 - 17:00 hours, that's 8.5 hours per day or over a five day week, 42.5 hours so nowhere near the working time act limit tbh.
    reddan wrote: »
    Sorry I zoned in this quote because you seemed to know what your taking about, and I didn't want to start a new thread as this one is very close to my issue.

I’m working for a company that was recently taken over. I'm on a different contract to most of the lads who are currently working here.

I'm on the same contract the last 6 years and the stated pay on the contract is less than what I am on now.

My contract states that I am to paid an extra two hours compared to what the other guys on are on. However since I've moved job site for some reason my employer has been paying for the time allotted on the new contract that I didn't sign, that is two hours less to what I usually get.

I spoke to my boss about it and he assures me it wouldn't be a problem but he just needed to verify it with my original contract.

My dilemma is that I'm worried they might try and rake back my pay, which has improved noticeably over the last 6 years, to the original and only pay rate stated on the contract.

Can they legally do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've been trying in vain to get in contact with my union representative for the last few days but to no avail.

Again I know it's only forum and nothing is written in gold but I really don't want to end screw myself over something like this.

You've been TUPED by the sounds of it and according to that link your existing rights should be preserved.

Advertisement