Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8.4 Mag Earthquake in Libya covered up ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

? There's nothing on that site about a quake In libya?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

maybe the seismograph was hit by a bomb?

its on that first page but not in the list, removed as an false reading? but surely they'd have a record of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Did anybody die? Earthquake in the middle of the desert... not very exciting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Talk E

8.4 earthquake in Libya!!! Was all over all the siesmic sites Now Gone!!!

HOLY CRAP! I'm not a cospiracy guy i swear, but i just watched it happen right the hell in front of my eyes. At 9:08 8.4 registered in Libya, was on all the sites, now it's all gone, didn't see anything on the news so i got on here to see what you guys were saying. A few youtubers got screen shots from a few of the sites, NO MEDIA COVERAGE AT ALL. Just google it and filter with latest.
    Here's one of the youtube links.

http://www.dailypaul.com/165321/84-earthquake-in-libya-was-all-over-all-the-siesmic-sites-now-gone

6h3qky.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There are huge earthquakes around the globe all the time. Unless there's a high body count or a lot of destruction, the media doesn't care as it's not newsworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

humanji wrote: »
    There are huge earthquakes around the globe all the time. Unless there's a high body count or a lot of destruction, the media doesn't care as it's not newsworthy.

its not a question of the earthquake not being newsworthy through lack of damage, its that a large one seemed to be recorded and then was removed, of course there could be a simple explanation for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

So why remove a large one and leave all the little ones that caused fcuk-all damage or death either?

So why remove a large one and leave all the little ones that caused fcuk-all damage or death either?
    Who knows? Could have been an error with the machine or some miscommunication or some other such benign occurances that can lead to misreporting. Why jump the conclusion that it's a cover-up/conspiracy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

There was a small earthquake in spain which was a non event and the media were reporting in all over the news.

• Advertisement

If this were a cover-up it would put 9/11 to shame :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Er, no. You'd expect about one 8+ earthquake on the planet per year. 8+ is news no matter where it occurs.

Probably just an error that was corrected. Why would anyone cover up an earthquake?

Anyone else thinking HAARP...? :eek:

Dave! wrote: »

Ha ha.. ya think ? :D

Zillah wrote: »
    Er, no. You'd expect about one 8+ earthquake on the planet per year. 8+ is news no matter where it occurs.

Probably just an error that was corrected. Why would anyone cover up an earthquake?

Yep, I was thinking of the Beaufort scale. :o

There was a small earthquake in spain which was a non event and the media were reporting in all over the news.

First I heard of it, to be honest. But did it happen in an uninhabited stretch of desert?

No idea. It could be a mistake. There's a lot of people online saying they were near enough that they would have felt the quake, but felt nothing. I've not seen anything from anyone saying they witnessed it. Twitter would be abuzz with info, but it's just people asking what happened.

Looks like a false positive on one of the systems that they just deleted.

Multiple sources here...

Another source 2 quakes in Libya

Maybe they don't wanna spook people with tomorrow being judgement day and all :D

Surely all these seismic readings come from different monitors from around the world ? Could they all have made a mistake ? Very strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

First I heard of it, to be honest. But did it happen in an uninhabited stretch of desert?

There was 10 people killed and it was all over the news, I was in spain when it happened.It was a non event in severe earthquake terms.
    Spain: Earthquake rocks Lorca, Murcia, killing 10

A bell from a church falls and narrowly misses a Spanish reporter,
    Hundreds of people have spent the night outdoors in the southern Spanish town of Lorca after an earthquake which killed at least 10 people.

The magnitude-5.2 tremor toppled several buildings after striking at a depth of just 1km (0.6 miles), 120km south-west of Alicante.

Lines of cars lay crushed under tonnes of rubble and a hospital was evacuated as a precaution.

Wednesday evening's quake came about two hours after a 4.4-magnitude tremor.

It is not clear how many people were injured, although Spanish media say there are dozens.

Military deployed
    Spanish TV captured dramatic images of a church bell tower crashing to the ground, landing just metres from a cameraman.

Shocked residents and workers rushed out of buildings and gathered in squares, parks and open spaces. Old buildings were badly damaged.

As night fell many people were still too afraid to return to their homes.

"The whole of the centre of Lorca has been seriously damaged," a delegate from the regional government of Murcia told national radio.

"There are thousands of very disorientated people."

A doctor told the online edition of El Pais that she and her colleagues went into the streets and treated people with serious injuries, many of them "unconscious".

"The ambulances could not reach them. They took more than 40 minutes," the doctor said.

Angel Dominguez, a translator based in Lorca, tweeted: "A friend of ours was in the main avenue of Lorca - she saw debris falling down on pedestrians. The poor girl was shocked."

The earthquakes were felt over a wide area.

"Unfortunately, we can confirm... deaths due to cave-ins and falling debris," Lorca Mayor Francisco Jodar told radio station Ser.

"We are trying to find out if there are people inside the collapsed houses," he added.

A number of aftershocks have been felt in the region after Wednesday's quake, and authorities fear the death toll could rise.

Spain's Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero has deployed emergency military units to the scene, the Spanish news agency Efe reported.

Mr Zapatero was in a meeting with Spanish King Juan Carlos when he was informed of the quake, the premier's office said in a statement.

The BBC's Sarah Rainsford in Madrid says the quake is the most serious to hit Spain in about 50 years.

Spain has hundreds of earthquakes every year but most of them are too small to be noticed.

Murcia is the country's most seismically active area and suffered tremors in 2005 and 1999.

Murcia is close to the large faultline beneath the Mediterranean Sea where the European and African continents meet.

BBC News

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

In fairness, earthquakes of the magnitude of the false report from Libya this morning do not happen very often. In fact, in the past 8 years there have only been 5 quakes above mag 8.4. It is a very strange false report though. False reports happen frequently enough, but its normally in far lower magnitude ranges, and usually caused by things like large landslides or glacial fracturing.

Like I said, really strange.

And wouldn't some news channel or website report the false report ?If even to put peoples concerns at rest. The false report of that magnitude is news in itself. But not a dickybird :)

• Advertisement

There was 10 people killed and it was all over the news, I was in spain when it happened.It was a non event in severe earthquake terms.
    Well, there you go. 10 people died. As opposed to ones that happen in uninhabited areas which aren't reported as it's just not interesting.
    Duiske wrote: »
    In fairness, earthquakes of the magnitude of the false report from Libya this morning do not happen very often. In fact, in the past 8 years there have only been 5 quakes above mag 8.4. It is a very strange false report though. False reports happen frequently enough, but its normally in far lower magnitude ranges, and usually caused by things like large landslides or glacial fracturing.

Like I said, really strange.
    As I said, I was thinking of the Beaufort scale where an 8 is fairly common. I couldn't see why anyone thought it was newsworthy. :D
    Talk E wrote: »
    And wouldn't some news channel or website report the false report ?If even to put peoples concerns at rest. The false report of that magnitude is news in itself. But not a dickybird :)
    But there's no real reason to. There was nothing to report. It would have to be an incredibly slow news day for it to be deemed worthy of reporting.

Dave! wrote: »

I prefer HEIINEKEN myself :P

Yep, I was thinking of the Beaufort scale. :o

No idea. It could be a mistake. There's a lot of people online saying they were near enough that they would have felt the quake, but felt nothing. I've not seen anything from anyone saying they witnessed it. Twitter would be abuzz with info, but it's just people asking what happened.

Looks like a false positive on one of the systems that they just deleted.

Actually that does make more sense.

8.4 registers on scale.
    People in the area feel nothing.
    System administrator deleted bogus instance.

Conclusion: Some clumsy bastard or the office cat bumped into the sensor.

Well, there you go. 10 people died. As opposed to ones that happen in uninhabited areas which aren't reported as it's just not interesting.

As I said, I was thinking of the Beaufort scale where an 8 is fairly common. I couldn't see why anyone thought it was newsworthy. :D

But there's no real reason to. There was nothing to report. It would have to be an incredibly slow news day for it to be deemed worthy of reporting.

Humanji.....just listen to yourself for a second.

If this earthquake DID occur but happens in the middle of nowhere then it's not newsworthy according to you. That's all well and good. But that's not the issue here. The issue here is if it did occur then why remove it from the monitoring report?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Arkslippy

Possibly it occurred very deep underground and in an uninhabited area, they might delete stuff all the time that come under certain criteria.

Wait.......... I'm in Roscommon and my diet coke is shaking !!!!!!!

It's ok. the table has a funny leg.

Or its a conspiracy !!!!!

Humanji.....just listen to yourself for a second.

If this earthquake DID occur but happens in the middle of nowhere then it's not newsworthy according to you. That's all well and good. But that's not the issue here. The issue here is if it did occur then why remove it from the monitoring report?
    I wasn't talking about the removing of the information. I was talking about why an earthquake may not be covered by the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

An 8.4 earthquake would be detected by hundreds of different universities and research instutions in every country all over the planet. To get it deleted by every one of them would need a conspiracy so vast and powerful as to be the realm of schizophrenia or works of fiction, its impossible.

Far more likely is that one sensor malfunctioned or one institute misreported and others that mirror their results...did so. When the error was discovered they let everyone know and the false reports were all taken down.

No one has yet proposed a reason for hiding an earthquake either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

People died. And it's an EU neighbour. And many people know people who live there or holdiay there.

So that one was news in Ireland and the UK and probably elsewhere in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Talk E wrote: »
    6h3qky.jpg

not sure but is it not very unusal to have no quakes, tremors before the big one.. i could be wrong... also any further data after the quake?? as this would need toshow the aftershocks...

if there are no aftershocks ortremors before.. more than likely a false reading...

a quake like that would be felt in neoghbouring countries, and there is no way in hell they could censor everone, not a word on twitter from people saying they have felt it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Sometimes it is better to actually ask the source rather than jumping to ridiculous conspiracies such as somebody covering up an 8.4 magnitude earthquake :rolleyes:
    Dear Sir, Madam,

This M8.4 earthquake in Libya was an error that has been sent by one of our data providers that operate an automatic location system. Automatic systems can sometimes generate false detections, and wrong magnitude. This detection is not associated to a real earthquake. So there was not any M8 in Lybia.

Normally we let this kind of information, even if it is wrong, on our web site because it is only published in our "For Seismologists Only" page with an associated disclaimer. But this time we decided to remove it from the web page as many people were wondering if there was a M8 in Lybia.

Best regards,

--
    Gilles MAZET-ROUX
    EMSC / CSEM

European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre
    c/o CEA, Bât. Sables
    Centre DAM - Ile de France
    Bruyères-le-Châtel
    91297 Arpajon Cedex
    France
    Tel : +33 (0) 1 69 26 78 12
    Fax : +33 (0) 1 69 26 70 00