Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock climbing Dalkey quarry

Options
  • 20-05-2011 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I had a look at some of the threads in the extreme sports section but could not find anything on rock climbing:oso I presume it's ok to post here.
    I,m looking for info on Dalkey quarry were to park etc have certain climbing routes closed? it's over twelve years+ since I was last there so any info on the current situation would be great.
    A few mates of mine want to start getting back into a bit of climbing as we use to spend nearly every weekend there f I was'nt in Tiglin, My aul petzel harness still fits:D jaysus I,m showing my age.
    Cheers DB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

You can buy a climbing guide for dalkey here.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Thanks for the info Keenan I think some of the lads still have that book with the different routes etc what I,m after is info on parking restrictions if there is any.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You could try parking on Ardbrugh Road, if there are any free spaces. Just don't block any entrances or junctions....

If not there, there is a big car park in the Park itself. There have been break-ins here over the years, though. It's a bit obvious you are going to be away from the car for a few hours if the gougers see you heading into the quarry with all your climbing gear.

The gorse is flourishing at the moment, so access to some of the routes might prove awkward.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Thanks for the heads up Esel we use to park the cars on a road just down from the quarry and never had any problems with gougers then sign of the times eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ That's Ardbrugh Road (at the 'bottom' of the quarry). Never any break-ins there, but locals can get pee'd off if all the parking spaces are taken by climbers. You can often get parking easier a bit past the quarry on the same road - it's just another 100 yards walk to the entrance.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement