Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saltwater fly rod & reel

Options
  • 19-05-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good saltwater fly rod, I have the Greys grxi+ rod & reel in 10ft 8wt for salmon fishing. could I use this for saltwater flyfishing or would the saltwater make sh1t of it?
    cheers
    Tim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

as far as i know the Greys GRXi+ Rods have saltwater proof fitting but make sure you rinse it with fresh water after every session and it should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

contacted greys regarding this & I received this very helpful email back from them just thought i would post it in case anyone had the same query.

by the way I am getting this reel deal to use with my grxi+ rod, seems like good value anyone have any opinions on this reel?

http://www.garryevans.co.uk/scierra-avalanche-fly-reel-with-spare-spool-reel-cases-fly-lines-backing--loops-4390-p.asp

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your message. The GRXi+ has a saltwater safe reel seat, and so would be ok to use in saltwater. To maximise the rod’s life you should rinse away salt deposits with fresh water after each outing and allow the rod to dry before storing.

The reel is not built completely from corrosion resistant materials, and so we do not endorse it for saltwater use, but if you look after the reel well by rinsing with fresh water and allowing to dry before storing then it should perform in saltwater. However should your reel fail after saltwater use you may not be covered under warranty.

If you want a saltwater safe reel, try the Greys X-Flite or the Hardy Zane which are both built from saltwater-safe components. The alternative is to buy an inexpensive reel and be prepared to replace it after every couple of seasons, try the GX500 (UK RRP £59.99), or GX300 (UK RRP £39.99)

I hope this is useful, and if there’s anything else we can help with then please let me know.

Kind regards,
    Cat

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭okedoke

Hi Tim

a good, cheap reel for saltwarer is the Okuma Airframe about £20 and spools are cheap too.

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

I'm looking at getting a saltwater rod+reel myself at the moment. From recommendations on some other forums I've more or less settled on a Shakespeare Atlantis rod and Okuma Airframe reel.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭okedoke

I have two 8 weights: a saltwater atlantis and a vision 3 zone - the Atlantis was 1/3 of the price of the 3 zone and is a much better rod IM

Airframes are great too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Steve, thanks for the reply okuma airframe is other option still undecided

http://www.garryevans.co.uk/okuma-airframe-reel-with-3-spare-spools-3-flylines-backing--loops-3871-p.asp

Aidan +1 for the atlantis fantastic rod I must say I think all the shakespeare rods are great value for money. I would to buy a saltwater fly rod but if i bring anymore gear into the house the wife will have me sleeping in the shed with it.
    Maybe ill get one next season ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zziplex

okedoke wrote: »
    Hi Tim

a good, cheap reel for saltwarer is the Okuma Airframe about £20 and spools are cheap too.

Steve

Ill second that....

Advertisement