Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wildlife spots

Options
  • 19-05-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

where are the best places around dublin (including surrounding counties) to watch widlife?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianb10

does anyone have any specific spots they go to that they would recommend?

In fairness, Gridlock's link gives you a great indication of where to look for wildlife watching infornation.

Anywhere along the cost will give results. Malahide, Bull Island, Rogerstown et al. Any Estuary. Inland you have the mnountains. Any fields will have something to watch. Any country road will have hedgerows with birds and insects.
    Your loacl branch of Birdwatch Ireland would be a good place to start for advice.
    It's not a matter of someone saying "go the the fork in the road at waterside, walk to the left and sit at the low wall to see Oystercatchers". The best thing is to visit a general area and have a wander about. If you have specific wildlife you want to see then there may be specific sites to visit. But for general wildlife you have the wide scope of all the land and sea around Dublin (and even within the Park in the city itself).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

In fairness, Gridlock's link gives you a great indication of where to look for wildlife watching infornation.

Anywhere along the cost will give results. Malahide, Bull Island, Rogerstown et al. Any Estuary. Inland you have the mnountains. Any fields will have something to watch. Any country road will have hedgerows with birds and insects.
    Your loacl branch of Birdwatch Ireland would be a good place to start for advice.
    It's not a matter of someone saying "go the the fork in the road at waterside, walk to the left and sit at the low wall to see Oystercatchers". The best thing is to visit a general area and have a wander about. If you have specific wildlife you want to see then there may be specific sites to visit. But for general wildlife you have the wide scope of all the land and sea around Dublin (and even within the Park in the city itself).

In his defence, I can see why the original poster is asking for specific spots - if you live in an urban area and don't have much time to get out and about, then the odd walk around the mountains will likely yield VERY few results. Some people must know where certain animals can be seen regularly in their locality. For example, I saw a Kestrel in my area a few months ago, and I spotted it in the same general area around the same time nearly every day I looked for the next few weeks. I've never seen a live Irish badger, but surely someone here could tell me where and when I'd have a great chance of spotting one. So maybe BrianB10 needs to be more specific, but I can see where he's coming from with the request - you could walk in the countryside for hours with an observant eye and not see any of our mammals.

• Advertisement

I totally accept that. I did ask if he has specific requirements. But I know that I can go anywhere and see wildlife/nature. It's a matter of looking and learning. Just going to a specific spot for a specific species is fine but it's a bit like twitching and adds little to one's overall knowledge.

Advertisement