Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a summer bike mechanic

Options
  • 19-05-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just back from putting 4 cv's around dublin, (I only had 4), I'd really love to get a full-time summer job/(part time when back in college) as a bike mechanic. I've an ok amount of bike repair knowledge, not amazing, but I really want to learn all the ins and out of everything

Three of the 4 have potential, going to ring the manager in one tomorrow, another said they might bring me in on a trial run day and the other told me a week ago to drop in a cv as they could maybe do with a hand.

I'd just like to know firstly whats the average wage of a bike mechanic? I obviously wouldn't be getting this as I've little experience (I'd be happy with a job paying minimum wage) but I'd like to have a general jist.

Secondly does anyone have any tips on how to secure a job or entice someone to hire me? I'm (cliche) really friendly and hard working.
    Any nice links to beef up my knowledge whilst waiting?

I know I could offer to work for free but it isn't really feasable as I'd need to earn some money to pay towards the coming college year. So it's realistically between getting a job in tesco easy enough but not really liking it or getting a job as a bike mechanic.

Any tips or information greatly appreciated.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Youl be starting off minimum wage for sure. All bike shops do give you a trial, usually a few hours in which you build new bikes from the box. What they do be looking for is how fast you can do it, anything over 30mins and youll not be doing yourself any favours. They look for how well its done too and your approach to it. How clean you work, what you grease , right tools etc.

Best thing is to take your time and make sure its spot on. Dont be afraid to ask questions and take intiative. Nothing worse than somebody who says nothing, takes ages, and ****s up. Id rather have somebody ask if they are not sure. Nobody knows everything.

If you get the job, be prepared for the "engineers".

How old are you and what exactley do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 15lean

Just out of curiosity I'd love to work part time as a mechanic as well but where can someone actually pick up the trade, I mean I know a fair bit from carrying out my own repairs but i'd need to learn more before I could work as a mechanic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

kona wrote: »

If you get the job, be prepared for the "engineers".

How old are you and what exactley do you know?

What do mean for the "engineers"?

I'm 19 years old, my knowledge currently would be basic to say the least.

• Quick at changing tubes, repairing punctures removing tyres ect.
    • Can assemble and dissassemble a bike though limited to my own which is a hybrid with a square tapered bb, caliper brakes.
    • Know how to de-grease, clean and regrease bb, headset, hubs.
    • Can replace cables and adjust the rear dereailler and front dereallir
    • Have limited knowledge of truing wheels, mainly getting out bad kinks from them, don't have a truing stand so haven't gotten a chance to fine tune, usually pluck the spokes to gauge tension.
    • Know how to measure components and I know a lot of standard sizes.
    Strangely I feel like I know more than written there but can't put it into words. Is not not much to know to try and get a job or would it be adequate to come in as a novice?

I also have recently gotten "The Barnett's Manual of Bicycle Repair" as a pdf so I'm gonna start reading it to learn more.

Crow92 wrote: »
    What do mean for the "engineers"?

I'm 19 years old, my knowledge currently would be basic to say the least.

• Quick at changing tubes, repairing punctures removing tyres ect.
    • Can assemble and dissassemble a bike though limited to my own which is a hybrid with a square tapered bb, caliper brakes.
    • Know how to de-grease, clean and regrease bb, headset, hubs.
    • Can replace cables and adjust the rear dereailler and front dereallir
    • Have limited knowledge of truing wheels, mainly getting out bad kinks from them, don't have a truing stand so haven't gotten a chance to fine tune, usually pluck the spokes to gauge tension.
    • Know how to measure components and I know a lot of standard sizes.
    Strangely I feel like I know more than written there but can't put it into words. Is not not much to know to try and get a job or would it be adequate to come in as a novice?

I also have recently gotten "The Barnett's Manual of Bicycle Repair" as a pdf so I'm gonna start reading it to learn more.

You probably wont get to show all that but you should have no problem getting some work with that experience. If you can change tubes without levers its a sign youve done it alot before ;)

Its hard to explain, but youll soon find that everybody with a issue with their bike is a engineer or a mechanic. Youl question the standards of such professions afterwards :)

Learn off the correct way to undo the BB and pedals, even after years of doing it sometimes I get confused still haha. :o

IMO if your only starting, you could do alot worse than applying to the likes of Halfords and smyths, plenty of bikes turnover, so you can practice till your hearts content. A drawback would be the lack of knowlege to learn from, but a bike repair manual youd learn an awful lot very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thebigmc

I'd be interested to hear how you got on with your job search OP?

I'm in a similar situation at the moment, looking for a beginner mechanics position in September. I'm hoping there might be some jobs going since summer employees would be heading back to school or college.

I've got a similar level of knowledge to yourself, and would like to get a job in a shop where I could learn alot, so I don't think I'll be applying to halfords or smiths first.

• Advertisement

thebigmc wrote: »

I'm in a similar situation at the moment, looking for a beginner mechanics position in September. I'm hoping there might be some jobs going since summer employees would be heading back to school or college.

I've got a similar level of knowledge to yourself, and would like to get a job in a shop where I could learn alot, so I don't think I'll be applying to halfords or smiths first.

TBH you wont get a job anywhere with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This proves beyond all doubt that Kona works in Smyths.

I actually got a job in Halfords 2 weeks ago, I'm up in the bike hut. It's really good everyones really nice, they told me if I need any help with anything they'll teach me.

It really is a good chance to perfect the skills they'll want in a more intense bike shop which you'll probably be very nervous about doing. Time is everything in a bike shop but in halfords they will more understanding that your still only training. Obviously depends on where you get a job but my manager is very knowledgeable.

It's the small things you do that are important. Can you build a bike in 20 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thebigmc

Congrats on the job Crow! I suppose I could rethink my strategy and head over to Halfords to make an application.

I doubt I can build a bike in 20 mins, and maybe I would be better applying to the shops I'd like to work in a bit down the line with some speed and experience behind me.

Did you apply specifically to work in the bike section of the shop?

I still think I'll call into some of the high end bike shops first to see if they would consider hiring an apprentice mechanic.

I don't see why not wanting a job in a big chain store would affect my chances of getting a job in a decent bike shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FWIW, I wouldn't particularly want to ride a bike that's been built in 20 minutes.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    FWIW, I wouldn't particularly want to ride a bike that's been built in 20 minutes.

Besides the fact It's mostly been made before It comes out of the box ;)

Congrats on the job Crow! I suppose I could rethink my strategy and head over to Halfords to make an application.

I doubt I can build a bike in 20 mins, and maybe I would be better applying to the shops I'd like to work in a bit down the line with some speed and experience behind me.

Did you apply specifically to work in the bike section of the shop?

I still think I'll call into some of the high end bike shops first to see if they would consider hiring an apprentice mechanic.

I don't see why not wanting a job in a big chain store would affect my chances of getting a job in a decent bike shop.

I went specifically to the manager of the bike shop They wanted to train me upstairs in the bike hut and with the car stuff downstairs, I've no experience or knowledge with the car section. After a week I was moved upstairs and Am permenantly up there now.

I also got 2 trial days in very high end shops, they told me to go to halfords to smiths to get a couple of months experience then come back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

This proves beyond all doubt that Kona works in Smyths.

Do Smyths even employ bike mechanics?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

RPL1 wrote: »

Who said Kona was a bike mechanic? Haha, I jest:)

How many bike shops allow you to play ps3 all day huh? I love my job!:pac:

Because no decent shop is gunna employ a know it all :rolleyes:

If you wanna be a bike mechanic youl take what you can get and move up.

Every footballer wants to play in the champions league, however some end up in the setanta cup. Then some move up.

Holyboy wrote: »
    Who said Kona was a bike mechanic? Haha, I jest:)

Kona wont be a bike mechanic in two months, Ive moved onto bigger machines :p

RPL1 wrote: »

They dont. My brother worked there. They got training from some guy from specialized he said. TBH they didnt give a fook. Sounded like the kinda job you could get dead easy if you knew what a freewheel looks like, also sounded like the kinda job that you could relax in.

Cant imagine ya on a BSO either :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Congrads, Crow92.

Wish I was younger so I could do a stint as a bike mechanic for a summer in exchange for my office job.

• Advertisement

nitrogen wrote: »
    Congrads, Crow92.

Wish I was younger so I could do a stint as a bike mechanic for a summer in exchange for my office job.

Why not? :)

nitrogen wrote: »
    Congrads, Crow92.

Tis great actually It's a permanent job I'll keep during college, They'll just slot me in depending on my timetable :D, it shall be interesting come christmas:p

Might apply for a more high end bike shop next summer but this is a concrete job that'll get me through college and is enjoyable to learn more about bikes :D the fascination is becoming an obsession :P

Advertisement