Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android : Signal mapping app.

Options
  • 19-05-2011 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this will amount to anything or is even worthwhile.
    http://opensignalmaps.com/
    • Map nearby cell phone towers and the active tower
    • View signal strength readings and tower direction
    • View signal tower radar
    • Upload signal strength information to our database (optional)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What good is that, most people carry their phone around in their pocket? Mine is in a leather pouch, in my front jeans pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭clohamon

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    What good is that, most people carry their phone around in their pocket? Mine is in a leather pouch, in my front jeans pocket

Presumably over time the signal strength maps and tower locations would be crowd-sourced automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

MS, Nokia, Google, Apple and the Operators have it all or most already.

Comreg is *SUPPOSED* to have it, but doesn't check, properly publish or force operators to comply.

It's mad that this should already freely exist.

But given how the systems work, I'm thinking this information is of limited value to the ordinary public. Also "user monitored" levels depend on congestion/contention and the app has noway of knowing how many other users are connected. So it's much much poorer ever that the info Comreg is supposed to have.

Advertisement