Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work in Dubai

Options
  • 19-05-2011 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I have just been offered a 2 year teaching Job in Dubai. I have over 10 years experience. I am wondering does anyone know what salary I should expect to earn (ball park).

Also my husband will be soming with me & I will have to sponsor him. Will it be difficult for him to find work/ get visa to stay the 2years? Anyone also contacts in the construction/carpentry trade?

Does anyone know the cost of living out there?
    Food expenses? Cars? Social Life? etc

What do people think/recommend?
    Any advise would be greatfully appreciated?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

Hey There I've been in Dubai a few months now and I can kinda answer some of the questions ya have put down here.

The money you earn it depends on the whether the company are paying towards the cost of rent or not. I've seen a number of other posts where people are getting paid 8000AED but that is with housing paid.

In relation to the construction industry it is mostly dominated by Indian low paid workers. I'm not too sure how the expats get on from a building point of view. He can get linked to your visa it costs about 2500AED for that visa. You must have a certified marriage license for this.

Running a car is a lot cheaper to be honest. Cost wise second hand and price of fuel and such very cheap. Servicing on the other hand can be expensive. But you save on it in the long term.

Drink is the same price as temple bar after 1 is the way I would put it. Food is not too bad well that is what I think similar to prices in Ireland. Cost of living wise rents are very high and the rental market is a lot different here. All accomadation is unfurnished and rents are paid by pre-posted cheques. Which are done either in 3,6month or yearly basis. Basic rent is around 17916 per year.

Lastly what is it like here. I love it and haven't regretted the move. It does get a bit hot.

Sorry about my long winded reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Will_H

OP - I've found this site very helpful http://crap-free.com/dubai-expat/

To get an idea of housing costs, I've been using http://www.dubizzle.com and http://www.bhomes.com/

Also, I must add that roryq has been very helpful too....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've met a few people out here who have been sold on the idea they're going to live in Dubai, but actually end up in Sharjah. Be careful as there is a very big difference. Is the company providing accommodation or living allowance?

As for your husband finding work in carpentry/building industry - unless he is working as a high level manager/business development person I'd say his chances are slim. These jobs are done by low paid and often unskilled workers.

Advertisement