Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing course for beginners

Options
  • 19-05-2011 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi
    Have been a casual angler for the last 25 years, float and lure fishing in freshwaters and seafishing also. Now would really like to get into fly fishing. My uncle tried to teach me when I was about 12 but alas I did not have the interest at the time and preferred catching multitudes of coarse fish off paste, bread, maggots and worms float fishing the local lakes. Anyway, to get to the point, I want to take a beginners fly fishing course. I have been looking on the internet and came across this one http://www.flyfishingireland.com/school.html#begin . Looks good, small classes and all equipment supplied. Has anyone any knowledge of this school and would they recommend it?
    Thanks
    Souness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

When I was starting fly fishing I did a half day lesson/guided with Andrew Ryan - it was expensive but I thought it well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Souness

Thanks okedoke, definitely worth the spend if you get good technique from it. Its Andrew that is giving the class as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

I can certainly recommend lessons from Andrew Ryan, as an experienced i had lessons from him which i found were a big help to me. It would be money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Im looking at those prices and Im shocked! I didnt think it would be that much at all. Are you really keen to do a class, would you not consider getting some lessons off an angler thats been at it his whole life? I know down in Killarney you can get out on a boat and have lessons and Im sure its less than that but maybe it wouldnt suit everyone. Ill let you know if I can get more info for you.

Regards,

Eoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Souness

Thanks lads. As I am a pure beginner I like the idea of starting with others like me, so booked the beginners day with Andrew for next month. Eoghan, woud be interested in learning more about the Killarney option for future lessons as a possible alternative to guided lesson with Andrew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭alanrebelsw

Talk to tom lofts at ballyhaas,he showed me which end of a rod was which, regarding andrew ryan ,one of the best in ireland i would think and can charge whatever he wants so wouldnt knock him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

I'd like to do that course with andrew ryan too but thats incredible money. Not a hope could I afford that.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Probably stupid question but why isnt this guy on an irish team or even the munster team.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

It's a pity you didn't attend any of the Fishing Awareness Weeks outings..

My fiancee was on a day course with 16other ladies, all got a days fly fishing tuition by Glenda Powell...

Now she want to go fishing with me!! :(

http://www.faw.ie/

madred006 wrote: »
    Probably stupid question but why isnt this guy on an irish team or even the munster team.

I would think there is nothing stopping him, all he has to do is qualify for the different stages.

• Advertisement

Here's another expert who might be worth checking out.. he does master classes.

http://www.flyfishingireland.net/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

madred006 wrote: »

Not everyone wants to be a competition angler, some people fish just for enjoyment. Being on a provincial or national team doesn't mean you're the best, it just means you're the best of those who enter qualifying competitions.

I've met Andrew a few times and had a casting lesson from him before, also met several other casting instructors, and have to say he's one of the best around. Worth every cent, if you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Zzippy wrote: »
    Not everyone wants to be a competition angler, some people fish just for enjoyment. Being on a provincial or national team doesn't mean you're the best, it just means you're the best of those who enter qualifying competitions.

Well said Zzippy....... i hate competitions, wont have anything to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

I don't understand fishing competitions at all - they make no sense to me. Any reason that I can think of to enter a fishing competition doesn't correspond with any of the reasons that I like fishing. Each to their own though.

So maybe he doesn't like competitive angling, or see the point of it. Doesn't make him any less good at what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I like competition fishing. I find it gives a great focus to the day and to the broader sport. Gives me a reason to try new things and work harder at casting and presentation. Without club angling id probably just catch a macks in the summer still and be happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Well was just curious that when I heard of this guy i just assumed he would be on the Munster team but discovered that he wasnt so just thought that it was unusual .I think that competition sharpens the skills needed to be the best at it and keep abreast of the different line set ups etc etc and techniques .Never met Andrew but assume he is great at what he does but if he were to fish on a munster team he would need to be exceptional in all aspects of the sport from what iv seen ,they have a great resevoir of talent down there and proved this at recent All Ireland river comp.

Advertisement