Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starcraft School

• 19-05-2011 10:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

I'm just a volcano of savage ideas. Someone give me a **** load of venture capital.

Was just thinking, it'd be kinda cool for a group of players to meet up once a month or bi-monthly to train/spar and discuss tactics.

It'd prob be in the XGC (where the lan is) and players would just meet up mid-day, play for a few hours, not an all nighter. It'd also be cool if a masters player could go in and give lessons, tis much easier to teach over someones should, and smack their hands with a ruler, come on sinister, live up to the name :)

Plus this would be useful for the community as a whole :)

Edit:// For the minecraft players, i literally only read this thread after posting this, "I'm not a Crook"
    Linkage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Khazidhea

I can do that :)

I looooove the oportunity to talk to people about starcraft IRL (minus balance qq), but that happens so rarely. And exams are now over! So yeah, it is gonna be a lot of starcraft in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Moving to Canada in 2 weeks and 6 days :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Deliasz

people are running away...have fun :D]

btw. good idea ! same thing could be going on with friend who live near you. You just need to find out who is where.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

pretty good idea, but can be impractical for some of us students lacking a car :(
    couldnt you do the same thing once a week on a battlenet chat lobby? id be up to help a few noobs for an hour or two the odd week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

or over ventrillo or skype...

• Advertisement

You people ... =(
    IRL is different thank vent\skype.

Well, I remember at the end of the last LAN me, Blinn, Funky, Khaz and (sorry :/) got together for an hour or so just to talk over the state of the game, e-Sports in Ireland and other stuff. Like, I don't see why stuff like that can't become a regular thing. I know RoyalMarine was busy but the summer's here now you could nearly get a LAN going every month or so (even if it wasn't the summer). The interest seems to be there, online at least. The scene could really develop here - sure just look at what Bakor achieved over at UKStarcraft.net (full sponsorship, a competitive team and weekly tournaments) - if people were willing to put in the effort. I know I'm personally moving to Toronto in 2 weeks and I've done my research on the scene over there and they have LANs weekly. Obviously, comparing Dublin to Toronto is not realistic but as we saw from the 1st LAN people are travelling from all around the country to meet up for this game. Sure, take Starcraft II itself - progaming houses, tournaments DAILY, massive sponsorship - the game has really taken off and the community is amongst one of the best in e-Sports.

Sure, Baal isn't even from Ireland and the guy is looking to setup and Irish-based team for both competitive and casual gaming. The potential is there you just need someone to take initiative. As I said in the other thread, though, organising a team - especially a competitive one - is extremely difficult and can flop very quickly is the communication and organisation networks aren't in place.

Like, it's all great making threads on boards.ie but this is only a minority of the potential/target-market you're looking for. The potential is there to make something big of the Irish-scene but you need to start from the bottom of the ladder and work from there. You should talk about it at the LAN next week. I know there's a few people who have played at a high level (for Ireland, anyway) in the past and would be able to step up to the plate again.

But I'm going off-topic again a bit. Referring back to the OP, Xios himself said it best - you should do this in the XGC and realistically with the summer coming you can really pull the finger out and try and get something started. Sure you wouldn't even have to buy a Server or anything - the UKStarcraft have a public one for all the Irish and UK-based guys so you could always start there. But, like I said, you need to super serious and committed to that stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I would be up for refining Epithemeus's ZvT sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

I'd love to get involved with something like this over the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

Well I really like the idea, the thing is as UnHolyGregor said, what about us poor people who don't have easy access to a car.

I was just thinking would anyone be interested in starting up a practice circle?
    We would need two people from every race. (A circle would generally be 8 people. 2 Zerg, 2 Protoss, 2 Terran and 2 Random.) And we could practice very specific build orders against each other. and how to counter those builds, practice timing and use to circle to exchange information we came across from the pros.

• Advertisement

I dont have a car but I am in a walking distance from the place. I dont knwo about other cities, but should be no problem for dublinners imo, no?

Getting in masters is easy. Like really 1 build 70 apm, common sense. And most of people actually tSo I dont think we really need circle. Just playing ladder when there is someone beside telling what to do. I would love to have a coach who would yell at me everytime I get supply blocked :D

It is not much of in-game gain for me as in terms of practice I can play with Funky all day and discuss and such, it's cool. And I can find someone else. It's about community. And actually in this case I am giving to community and willing to "teach" if you will. Free Terran grinds anyone? xDDD

And to have a good laugh. Damn where is Blinn? Had so much fun with and freepower lasttime :D

P.S. My English fails =\ I cant really tell exactly what I mean. But hey I can still yell at you for not building depos and you WILL get into masters under this pressure :D

Orizio wrote: »
    I would be up for refining Epithemeus's ZvT sometime.

Your joking, right? my zvt is impeccable
    :p

godspal wrote: »
    Well I really like the idea, the thing is as UnHolyGregor said, what about us poor people who don't have easy access to a car.

I was just thinking would anyone be interested in starting up a practice circle?
    We would need two people from every race. (A circle would generally be 8 people. 2 Zerg, 2 Protoss, 2 Terran and 2 Random.) And we could practice very specific build orders against each other. and how to counter those builds, practice timing and use to circle to exchange information we came across from the pros.

You could always set up a team and compete in some of the smaller team leagues that'll pop up over the summer.

EDIT: You should also really get on IRC. That's where the people actually interested in this of stuff will be, most likely.

anyways.. i can coach plat/diamond zerg one hour a week if they got skype and a headset.
    pm me if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭freepower

I'm defo up for this, as a guitar teacher my summers are almost totally dead and a regular meet with like minded people would be nice. As well as good for my starcrafting. :P

If anyone wants to meet up, I'm good for most weekdays for immediately-post-lunch starcraft, and usually fridays and sundays too. Just PM me if something gets organised and I don't seem to have noticed, I'm definitely up for it! :)
    And to have a good laugh. Damn where is Blinn? Had so much fun with and freepower lasttime

I would have to guess Blinn is probably scared of my uber beastly ZvT strats.

As are you presumably, where you been since they buffed infestors? :P

I've been hiding under the rock, the **** is too scary.

Guitar teacher? Damn I can exploit this!

XD

Like, push out with marine tank and say "Explain chord theory or I siege your natural?"

well, if anyone sees me online just hit me up and i can spare a few practice games if your interested, and give a few tips.
    Epimetheus 402

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

I'd be interested in getting back into sc for something like this. I was mid/high diamond zerg when I used to play but I could just never get any good at terran, so it'd be great for someone to sort me out!

I still give free coaching for Terran. Contact me in-game at Sinister.947 or PM me on boards.

NOTE: This is only available for people who are spending more than 3 days a week on SC2. This starts on May 25th and ends on June 6th.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Khazidhea wrote: »
    .........Just playing ladder when there is someone beside telling what to do. I would love to have a coach who would yell at me everytime I get supply blocked :D

It is not much of in-game gain for me as in terms of practice I can play with Funky all day and discuss and such, it's cool. And I can find someone else. It's about community.......

Free Terran grinds anyone?..........I can still yell at you for not building depos and you WILL get into masters under this pressure :D

I am a lowly bronzetowner who would probably benefit from having someone over my shoulder. I love the idea of live coaching.

Tenger wrote: »
    I am a lowly bronzetowner who would probably benefit from having someone over my shoulder. I love the idea of live coaching.

Feanor 980. (I'm only a Plat though).

Will be on tonight.

^ orizio is pretty strong for plat, don't let him fool you. ;)

Except when I come up against freep's gosu 2 drone rush... :(

Best counter to 6 rax, imho. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 phisku

Moving to Belgium in 1 weeks and 3 days frown.gif

i wish it could have happened earlier :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 michaelyou

we should plan a huge lan party :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MekanicWombat

Sounds a good idea man, sadly most of us Northerners, especially those like myself who work weekends and are at University won't be able to come down, but we could get something like practice times synced, KoTHs with analysis etc etc sorted if you so desire

Email me at stewartmillar1989@hotmail.co.uk if interested or if you have any ideas of things we could get sorted. We have a Facebook group that is insanely active but we've been warned for spamming it around before :P

Sounds a good idea man, sadly most of us Northerners, especially those like myself who work weekends and are at University won't be able to come down, ........
    ......We have a Facebook group that is insanely active but we've been warned for spamming it around before :P
    Really?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MekanicWombat

Tenger wrote: »
    Really?
    Not sure what you're referring to, but the travel thing is a real concern, plus yeah we got told off for linking stuff around so I figured I'd not do so.

Not sure what you're referring to, but the travel thing is a real concern, plus yeah we got told off for linking stuff around so I figured I'd not do so.

I was referring to being told off, surely giving a link to a facebook group isn't advertising?

Maybe it is under boards.ie rules

Advertisement