Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transporting horse

Options
  • 19-05-2011 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Am transporting my horse to scotland this weekend.A bit anxious as I have never travelled that far with him before! Anyone with advise or tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

I'm sure you'd find people with good advise over on the equestrian forum (under sports)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Hi

When we transport a horse even for inland journeys we would do the following:

For the legs and feet:

We bandage the legs and this is for a few reasons. A well dressed bandage will not fall off or come away meaning on a long journey you can be sure the animal will be ok. Most boots except very high end ones will fall off and your animal will be at risk of injury. The second reason is that bandages are so cheap!

We would also use over reach boots to stop the horse taking a shoe off.

For the body:

A good quality travel cooler fleece. The reason quality is an issue is a good fleece will wick away moisture a bad one wont. If the animal sweats and cant release that moisture it could get cold or even sick on a long journey. Bucas do an excellent travel fleece.

For the head:

As the top of the head is the most vulnerable we would use a Pole Guard. This is used with a head collar and it protects the horse in case they rare up. A simple yet very essential piece of kit.

There the main ones. Im sure others will give you more advice but those few tips could save an animal serious injury or even death in transit.

Regards,

Eoghan
    Twomeys

Advertisement