Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have been set up!

Options
  • 19-05-2011 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Long story........Well I started a new job less than 5 weeks ago with a sucessful company in the accounts dept. My old employer recommended me for the job and I jumped at the chance as it was an exciting role, with a salary well above my old one.

So, after 3 weeks or more I was asked by my superior how did I think I was getting on and I honestly said I thought I was doing as well as expected, because that is what I thought. And yes, my superior said she and the company were "delighted with me". All good in the hood then!

Well forward another week and I am now unemployed. Would make you think right??

Well it made me think. I was told "its not working out" and that I probably wasnt the right guy for the job. Hmmm, thats not how I saw it.

So, lets see what happened. They went from being "delighted" with me to saying "its not working out".

Two weeks ago, We were doing our month end and I was writing cheques etc to suppliers. I wrote one cheque for a certain supplier, say for arguments sake for 5k and was told to write a cheque for a higher amount, e.g 6k. I asked my superior why, as the balance outstanding on our records was the 5 k, i.e. the amount I wrote the first cheque for. I was told that the supplier was screaming out for the 6k and that the difference was probably down to the fact that we were waiting on another invoice to come in from the supplier in question. So, I wrote the cheque for 6K.

A week later, my superior is looking at our aged creditors and see's that there is a minus balance on the account of that supplier, and asks me why. well, I tell her that she instructed me to write a cheque for 6k as opposed to 5k which was what was on our system. She/he flipped out and said in future that I should make sure in future that I am careful adding up invoices that are outstanding etc. I pointed out that it was her/his instruction that I was obeying.

So after this, he/she became very cold towards me...no more chit chat from them, barely got a hello in the morning...I must point out that when I started I was told that if we ever overpay a supplier we will be fired, and he/she really stressed this point and said the boss would have no hesitation in doing this...fair enough i guess...

Well now im fired, and it was to protect the superiors ass to put it bluntly...if the boss found out that a supplier was overpaid, then the superior who has worked there 5 years would be fired....well I guess I was an easy target and i was left go...

Have I been set up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Set up wrote: »
    I must point out that when I started I was told that if we ever overpay a supplier we will be fired, and he/she really stressed this point and said the boss would have no hesitation in doing this...fair enough i guess...

You made a huge mistake. You got fired for it.

.. and you learned a very valuable lesson!

Part of working in any place is understanding office politics and covering your own back.

Don't pay any heed to the people who said they were delighted with you. You were only in the door. You probably proved you could work fast and pick up the job quick, but you really need to be in a place at least a year to really prove yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭D.McC

Tip the owner / over all boss of to the inbalance in the books before the supervisor has a chance to hide it.

Sounds like the supervisor might have been buying goods or services from the supplier and using the company to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As D.McC says contact senior management at the company and let them know what happened. They may chose to ignore it and you're unlikely to get the job back but at least there's an off chance that the backstabbing supervisor might get dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for replies ppl. I must point out that it is an office of 5 people so the owner of the company is the boss. And the superior in question is superior to me only. Yes I learnt a lesson, but she nearly had me believe that it was me who made the initial mistake.

Anyhow, just needed to know for piece of mind. Must also point out that it was my old employer who got the job for me, so if I call the boss of the company I just get let go, my former employer could lose them as client, and things will get very messy.

If you're still on good terms with your old employer then give them a ring with a polite enquiry about work, explain the situation you're in and tell them you'll avoid pursuing it any further for their sake. You'd never know, they might give you a hand again.

The only other question I'd ask is, is there any chance that your old employer wanted rid of you and called in a favour with an old mate to do it? Just playing devil's advocate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

If you're still on good terms with your old employer then give them a ring with a polite enquiry about work, explain the situation you're in and tell them you'll avoid pursuing it any further for their sake. You'd never know, they might give you a hand again.

The only other question I'd ask is, is there any chance that your old employer wanted rid of you and called in a favour with an old mate to do it? Just playing devil's advocate...

My bad mind was thinking the very same. Quick, easy and cheap to get rid of someone like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

That crossed my mind too Leeroy, mo harm though on contacting your old employer about getting your job back, te worst thy can do is say no.

Ok. I understand why you might think this. But I have been offered my old job back :)

Ok. I understand why you might think this. But I have been offered my old job back :)

Congrats! Now cover your back in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't understand this

Your superior says to you - don't ever overpay an invoice - then a month later she asks you to overpay - did you not question her then?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Best practice for work is go by the rule "If I haven't been asked to do something in writing, I haven't been asked.." whether it be a document or email, make sure you have it.

There are obviously exceptions to this (small requests), but when it comes to anything money related always have a proof of request.

Fair play to your old boss. Very decent of them to help you out on both occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Good the hear - lesson learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

As D.McC says contact senior management at the company and let them know what happened. They may chose to ignore it and you're unlikely to get the job back but at least there's an off chance that the backstabbing supervisor might get dealt with.

+ 1

Thanks for all replies guys. Yes I have a decent boss...a real good genuine guy.

Regarding the overpayment, yes they did say never overpay and when she realised her mistake, i did question her on this but no avail.

You might be right. Still have not got official word of my old job back.

What has me agreeing with you is when I asked why i was taken on in the first place, the first answer I received is that my old boss needed to get rid of a few trainees. right, thats self explanatory...when I questioned the person who left me go a bit more, she said that it was between me and another girl, the other girl had more relevant experience but had to give 4 weeks notice so they went with me she said. I was left go after 5 weeks...

My question is, and call me crazy if u like, was I just filling in the role for 4 weeks until this other girl started?

By the way, I was entitled to redundancy from my old job :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Thanks for all replies guys. Yes I have a decent boss...a real good genuine guy.

Regarding the overpayment, yes they did say never overpay and when she realised her mistake, i did question her on this but no avail.

You should have asked for it in writing.

It amazing the number of people who insist on you doing something, but suddenly change their mind when you ask for written confirmation of it.

Just because someone is senior doesn't mean they know what they are doing, or aren't doing something wrong deliberately. I'd be very suspicious of overpaying as described.

Op,
    Forget about the conspiracy theories, like Job B did Job A a favour by taking you, and Job B only took you until another person worked their notice. None of this matters.

Your job was to ensure payments were appropriately authorised and paid. The reason you were let go was for circumventing the controls despite knowing it was a sackable offence. Move on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Having worked in a small way with money I would strongly recommend getting any request in writing and involving senior mgt in the transaction as well.

Do not be forced into doing anything incorrect ever again.

Advertisement