Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnent teenage girls

Options
  • 18-05-2011 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I live in a small enough town. Over the last year i know of 3 Jr cert age girls that have got pregnent, why is the state doing nothing about this except giving them welfare payments? Why are the Gardí not asserting the males that got these girls pregnent?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Lucozade man

Its a disgrace joe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Why are the Gardí not asserting the males that got these girls pregnent?

It was asserting males that got them into this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm fairly sure it's an asserting experience to feel wanted. ;)

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Which town is it that there are this many randy young wans ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I live in a small enough town. Over the last year i know of 3 Jr cert age girls that have got pregnent, why is the state doing nothing about this except giving them welfare payments? Why are the Gardí not asserting the males that got these girls pregnent?

can you explain how arresting them would help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Wicknight wrote: »
    can you explain how arresting them would help?

The trick is to arrest them before they do the deed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Asserting the males or ass hurting the males?

I'm not a big fan of pursuing kids for being kids but when the kids play adults then they should have to deal with the responsibilities of adults.

The men should be compelled by a court to pay maintenance. All fathers should be contributing to the cost of their children, either in person in the hand on traditional fathers role or through cold hard cash if they choose not to help raise their 'drunken mistakes'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

+1 to poster above.

The men should be compelled to provide maintenance so the welfare to the mother can be reduced.

But really it is quite annoying the way women (and men, if they stick around) can have babies and then automatically get a nice welfare cheque as a result. I know it is entirely unrealistic, not to mention immoral, to enforce a policy where you can only have a child if you can afford it, but it does annoy me that any old slag can just have a kid and get free money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Long live free love :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I used to know this one girl years ago who was up the pole and hid it very well

Then one day she disappeared into a horse stable of some relative for a few days and tried to push the baby out by herself unassisted, with the idea of killing it apparently. but someone found her there or the pushing didn't go well for her and she called for help. wonder how common this stuff is in Ireland.

What is the State supposed to do about these girls getting pregnant. It is a problem but I don't think there is much the state can do or that it is even their job to try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Education!

Not the birds and the bees crap, but a proper graphic demonstration of how so many young people end up suffering so badly financially for the rest of their lives and miss out on opportunities over what could have easily prevented by proper knowledge.

Contraception should not have an age limit.. there is no point telling kids they are not allowed to have sex, they will.. we all did things we weren't allowed as kids, so we should be more realistic about it and face the facts that they are going to have sex no matter what we tell them, so we may as well educate them and stop burying our heads in the sand!

Im not condemning anyone who had kids at a young age at all because i know a few very close friends that did, and i know they would have wanted to wait a few years before the "surprise". But maybe shock advertising.. like the road death ads.. they would make people think! i would hope anyway...

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

This might be controversial.

The state happily gives these youngsters benefits after the birth of unplanned kids. Why not offer free contraception beforehand to try and prevent some it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

si_guru wrote: »
    This might be controversial.

The state happily gives these youngsters benefits after the birth of unplanned kids. Why not offer free contraception beforehand to try and prevent some it?
    Don't be silly, that would be encouraging them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Eh , permission to ask a question ?

What has teenage promiscuity , sexual morality , contraception , etc have to do with Emergency Services ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Delancey wrote: »
    Eh , permission to ask a question ?

What has teenage promiscuity , sexual morality , contraception , etc have to do with Emergency Services ? :p

I assume it's to do with the Op's perception (or observation) that nothing is done about these cases of statutory rape by the gardaí

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Delancey wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement