Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Wheats

Options
  • 18-05-2011 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone reccomend some really nice dark wheat beers I can pick up around Dublin?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Erdinger Dunkel, absolutely gorgeous. Should get it in most offy's. Even my local Centra does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Didn't like the Erdinger myself but liked the Augustiner Dunkel and the SchneiderWasser the best out of the fee I tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

chin_grin wrote: »
    Erdinger Dunkel, absolutely gorgeous. Should get it in most offy's. Even my local Centra does it.

Thanks, But I just can't drink this stuff :(

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Didn't like the Erdinger myself but liked the Augustiner Dunkel and the SchneiderWasser the best out of the fee I tried.

Love the schneider nice and spicey I'll look out for the other one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

ntlbell wrote: »
    Can anyone reccomend some really nice dark wheat beers I can pick up around Dublin?

I do like Erdinger Dunkel but the not a fan of their standard hefe , a bit to bland

But the ultimate wheat dunkel has to be Aventinus - Schneider-Weisse :D Sweet wheatie dopplebock!
    aventinus-bottle.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Thanks, But I just can't drink this stuff :(

Okay.
    oblivious wrote: »
    But the ultimate wheat dunkel has to be Aventinus - Schneider-Weisse :D Sweet wheatie dopplebock!

I'll +1 this, tis very nice. Honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Weihenstephaner Dunkel is very good. I think Tesco stock it

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Weihenstephaner Dunkel is very good. I think Tesco stock it

Weihenstephan Dunkel is a beautiful beer, but Tesco just stock the regular weiss beer. Also lovely though.

The Dunkel is quite hard to find around the place. Best bets are the likes of McHughes, Deveney's, Redmonds, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

Hello

On the same topic, does anyone know if Franziskaner Dunkel is available in Dublin?

Cheers
    Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Weihenstephan Hefeweissbier Dunkel. I think this stuff is tip top.

You can't go far wrong with a dark wheat beer.

• Advertisement

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    Weihenstephan Dunkel is a beautiful beer, but Tesco just stock the regular weiss beer. Also lovely though.

The Dunkel is quite hard to find around the place. Best bets are the likes of McHughes, Deveney's, Redmonds, etc.

Yep they just have the regular one, I love weihenstephan Dunkel

mulligans on manor st usually have it and the drinkstore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Of the ones mentioned I really like the Aventinus and Augustiner Dunkel. Bit of a difference in strength though, Aventinus is over 8% while the Augustiner is 5.6%.

Deveneys definitely have the Augustiner but I can't remember if they have Aventinus at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

ollaetta wrote: »
    Of the ones mentioned I really like the Aventinus and Augustiner Dunkel. Bit of a difference in strength though, Aventinus is over 8% while the Augustiner is 5.6%.

Deveneys definitely have the Augustiner but I can't remember if they have Aventinus at the moment.

Augustiner Dunkel. is a dunkel (dark German) lager not a wheat beer or dark wheat, but a lovely none the less ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Aventinus.........+1 here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My favourites are :

Schneider Original (Tap 7 I think) - Actually labelled as a hefeweitzen but is like a light dunkel.

Weihenstephaner Dunkel - quite a pale Dunkle- rather like the Schneider.

Franziscaner Dunkle - a nice straight forward dark dunkel.

Schneider Aventinus - Fantastic but be careful of the 8.2% alcohol. Only €5.50 in Porterhouses. Also makes a mindblowing beef stew!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Kombacher dark?only discovered it yesterday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Kombacher dark?
    It's a lager, not a wheat beer.

Advertisement