Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does commitment phobia exist?

Options
  • 18-05-2011 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right forum..

But does anyone know if commitment phobia exists?

My partner / ex partner has nearly all of these symptoms but he is the only person I've been with long enough to be talking about real commitment.

http://www.anxietymatters.com/symptoms_of_anxiety/phobias/commitment_phobia/commitment_phobia_index.htm

This looked like the least wishy washy dating site.

(I'm not asking this as a help me get back together post, he does the same thing with his career and I would genuinely like to see him happy)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭psycjay

Some people do avoid committing to relationships and some people do avoid committing to a career or other things but I do not think It is correct to think of it as a fear of "commitment" in general.

A phobia is normally an abnormal response to the anticipation of some thing, or situation, where it results in feeling of anxiety and panic. The things that develop phobia are normally quite concrete such as spiders, or going out in public etc. Commitment is too abstract a concept.

That is not to say that avoidance of committing to different things isn't an issue. For example there are many reasons why people have trouble with long-term relationships, such as attachment problems, low self esteem, and negative past experiences. I think it's wrong to call that a phobia though.

Anyway that site is recommending "Hypnoanalysis" which I have never heard of. It certainly isn't an empirically validated treatment for anxiety disorders! Be very weary of sites like that, they are self-serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

smiles302 wrote: »
    My partner / ex partner has nearly all of these symptoms but he is the only person I've been with long enough to be talking about real commitment.

http://www.anxietymatters.com/symptoms_of_anxiety/phobias/commitment_phobia/commitment_phobia_index.htm

Strange, they seem to be equating "committment phobia" with Social Anxiety - which is something which DOES exist and for which there are evidence based treatments. On the other hand, the list of symptoms they give don't seem to be Social Anxiety symptoms, but a hodge-podge of other things which contribute to relationship difficulties. Weird. :confused:

Short answer, Smiles: I wouldn't trust this site for psychological advice or knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

I had a feeling it wasn't gonna be a real thing.

Awh well, back to post-break up baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭psycjay

Now baking.. that's what I call therapy!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

*drowns in cookies*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

smiles302 wrote: »
    But does anyone know if commitment phobia exists?

Yes it does - the technical name for it is manhood.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Neuro wrote: »
    Yes it does - the technical name for it is manhood.

;)

This is a bit of a current myth.... it's annoying to have these ideas out there popularly as facts, when they are nothing of the sort. I know you're joking, Neuro, but it's still irritating to have these silly psychological myths around.

Lacking any sense of humour today. JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sinbadsailor

INAPPROPRIATE POST DELETED. BREAKS ALL FORUM CHARTER GUIDELINES. JC

Advertisement