Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agent Provocateur in Dublin?

Options
  • 18-05-2011 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

I'm sure you've all heard of agents provocateur - basically people who are employed by the government/police during times of unrest, such as riots etc, to wreak havoc so that the police will appear justified in their subsequent crackdown.

Here's a video of one such:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJ1JlYs52E (can't embed)

Just Youtube or Google keywords and you'll see many videos.

Anyway, this may seem extremely far-fetched, but with the 'riots' that have accompanied the British Queen's visit to Ireland, I've begun to notice something. It may be nothing, or I may be paranoid, but just hear me out and offer your opinions.

You've all seen the pictures of the people in the scuffles, and some are wearing Celtic and Manchester United jersies (:rolleyes:). (see attached image). Now they could just be stupid ****ing idiots who haven't a brain cell between them, but I have a slight uncomfortable feeling that these people are being placed there by the government in order to ridicule the Republican movement.

Think about it for second - as soon as you see the idiot with his Man Utd. jersey at the protest, you automatically think to yourself "the idiot". This automatically, and quite simply, takes credibility away from the Republican movement.

Now, of course, as I have already mentioned, these people could just be idiots, but there is always the possibility that agent provocateur may be at work here.

I've added a quick poll. What do you think of this? I'd like to hear your views.

Do you think agents provocateur are at work during this visit? (see videos, pics etc) 8 votes

Yes - I think agents provocateur are at work here (and in that Man Utd pic)
    0% 0 votes
    Nope - nothing to see here.
    50% 4 votes
    No, you are definitely looking into this too much. They are idiots
    50% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Talk E

I made a video back in March on this exact subject.

EDIT: well, on the London one....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Talk E wrote: »
    I made a video back in March on this exact subject.

EDIT: well, on the London one....
    What's your opinion on the Irish aspect one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

, but I have a slight uncomfortable feeling that these people are being placed there by the government in order to ridicule the Republican movement.

I really don't think the republican movement need help in making themselves look ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'd agree with this. I've no doubt that Agent Provocateur's are used at tiems, but in this case there really is no need. There was never a hint of a chance of the visit passing without violence. They're mindless thugs who most likely don't even know why they're trying to riot.

If an agent was to be used, it would have been at the peaceful Sinn Fein protests, to try and discredit them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Yup - the police would have wanted this affair to go off as quietly as possible - i.e. no crackdown. And there was no crackdown either, was there? And the scumbags who were throwing stuff were clearly just Dublin skangers, the same type who trashed the city after the 'Love Ulster' parade. As someone else pointed out, the thing they are probably most peed off about isn't the Queen, but the fact that where the barricades and such are means that they don't have the opportunity to loot any decent shops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Talk E

I tend to agree with the two above posts on this occasion. The Gardai took a lot of abuse and they didn't show as much as a baton, that I could see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I've heard from one source that there may have been at éirigís original sit down protest. Some refused to sit and then the Gardaí get involved. Personally I say they were just the scummy elements who didnt give a fcuk about the protests or what they were for, bt regardless it gave the coppers the excuse to wade in and drag them away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Agents provocateur were sussed out at the RNC in 2004 in New York. They all had the same military issued combat boots and couldn't answer very simple questions that they should have been able to answer had they been authentic protestors according to the credentials they gave to the group that surrounded them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hookah

I see you split the No vote.

Clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

By the way, UglyBolloxFace must be one of the best names on Boards. Although the 'Ugly' bit may be unnecessary, unless there's an AttractiveBolloxFace out there somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

humanji wrote: »
    I'd agree with this. I've no doubt that Agent Provocateur's are used at tiems, but in this case there really is no need. There was never a hint of a chance of the visit passing without violence. They're mindless thugs who most likely don't even know why they're trying to riot.

If an agent was to be used, it would have been at the peaceful Sinn Fein protests, to try and discredit them.

I would agree with humanji. Agents are used when you want to either justify a brutal crackdown or if you want to cause mayhem that will trigger public outrage. In more extreme cases they are used to pit two sides against each other.
    The authorities would have wanted no spotlight at all (or as little as possible) on any kind of unrest during the queen's visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Thread title fail.

:(

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Loyalists wouldn't want it to go down well,so could be one of theirs.

Advertisement