Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda advice for the match tonight.... IN PORTUGESE!!!!!

Options
  • 18-05-2011 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

PORTUGUESE FANS TRYING to make their way to the Aviva Stadium – or, sorry, the Dublin Arena – tonight might do well to pay attention to this video we’ve just come across from the Garda Press Office.
    In it, the quite-obviously-Irish Garda Tom Lundon – who introduces himself as a sergeant, but who wears the shoulder insignia of a superintendent – advises Portuguese speakers about which entrances they are due to take in order to access the stadium.
    He also advises fans about the role of the police (even translating ‘An Garda Síochána’ as ‘Guardas da Paz’) – while also managing to offer a smile and an ‘OK’ to the camera operator in between takes.

Link to video:
    http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/voce-fala-portugues-some-garda-advice-for-getting-to-the-aviva-in-portuguese-139041-May2011/?utm_source=shortlink

Despite the slagging they are giving him in the journal for a few translation errors I think this is well cool!
    Fair play to him!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Yeah, good on them. I suppose with the great welcome being shown to the Queen being broadcast around the world, it is good to extend that to other visitors to the country. Our hospitable welcome is world famous.

It's very easy to knock someone for speaking in a foreign language when they get one or two words wrong but it is very difficult to actually learn a language yourself.

I know that there is a large Brazilian workforce in Ireland so Portugese language skills are an asset to the Gardai.

That is absolutely brilliant. I love that the camera's not even set up straight! The editing is top notch, though.

I know this will sound stupid or sarcastic, but being completely serious; this is the only thing I actually genuinely really love about Ireland. There's such an underlying shoddiness to everything. We have to easily be the funniest country in the world. Father Ted's depiction of Ireland was so spot-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

That is absolutely brilliant. I love that the camera's not even set up straight! The editing is top notch, though.

I know this will sound stupid or sarcastic, but being completely serious; this is the only thing I actually genuinely really love about Ireland. There's such an underlying shoddiness to everything. We have to easily be the funniest country in the world. Father Ted's depiction of Ireland was so spot-on.

I'd love to see you doing a better job.

If more police forces throughout the world were to display such concern for visitors then the world would be a better place.

I'd love to see you doing a better job.

That's the hilarious thing, though. I could easily do a better job. I've seen people making professional looking short films on €100 cameras.

Don't get me wrong now, I applaud AGS for their efforts, and in particular the Garda that took the time to learn a whole seperate language. It's not something I can do, and I admire anyone who can, but the end product is just so poor.

A tripod for €20 and a camera from the stuff that people hand in and they're laughing. Hopefully they'll giveit a shot again in future and learn from their mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Well in fairness the Gardai have much more important things to be doing than choosing cameras!

• Advertisement
Advertisement