Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gmail Hacked - Playstation Network hack related?

Options
  • 18-05-2011 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Just some info, I had my Gmail hacked into about an hour and a half ago, luckily gmail spotted it and locked my account but not before the B****x could send an email with a link in it out to my entire address book.

I've been able to find out through the gmail activity monitor that the fellas from panama and i have his ip address. Is there anything I can do with this? Or am I being naive in thinking that this is his actual ip address and not something he has routed through.

Anyway the only way I think they could of gotten this is from the recent PlayStation Network hack as stupid me uses the same passwords for everything. (I know Cardinal Sin) So if anyone out there has done the same i'd recommend changing your passwords.

I have done the following through gmail

Account Security:
    Settings -> Accounts and Import -> Google Account Settings -> Change Password [pick a new secure password]
    Settings -> Accounts and Import -> Google Account Settings -> Change Password Recovery Options [verify secret question, SMS and secondary e-mail address]

Potential Spam:
    Settings -> General -> Signature [make sure nothing as been added]
    Settings -> General -> Vacation Responder [make sure it's disabled and empty]

E-mail Theft
    Settings -> Accounts and Import -> Send Mail As [make sure it is using your correct e-mail address]
    Settings -> Filters [no filters that forward or delete e-mail]
    Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP -> Forwarding [disabled or correct address]
    Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP -> POP Download [disabled]
    Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP -> IMAP Access [disabled]

is there anything else i need to do to secure my account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, it's a fairly typical scam whereby you click on a link in an email, which fires out emails to your entire address book and they in turn click on the link and so forth. I doubt it's related to the PSN hack.

Best thing to do is turn on two-factor authentication.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Thanks for the reply, i have set up the 2 step verification just now.

I dont think it was a scam like that. First of all I never ever click those links, never.
    Second the account activity shows that someone has accessed my account from panama and sent out emails visible in the sent items.

Thats why I think it had something to do with the PSN Hack as they had the password and my account login from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭900913

apope8

Try googling you gmail username to see if it's on any hack forums, Then you might get more details of where your login credentials where leaked from.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Never taught of that, but the search comes back empty, no results back yet anyway

Advertisement